April 29, 2024, 03:08:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Carbohydrates on HPLC !  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Jamemeup2152c

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Carbohydrates on HPLC !
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »
Carbohydrates having less intense on UV absorption. Will these give peaks on HPLC with UV-Visible detector?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Carbohydrates on HPLC !
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
If they have absorbance in the UV region then yes they will. If it is not a very strong signal though, it will just lower your detection limit. Determine the maximum absorbance wavelength with a spectrophotometer. Also, determine the maximum absorbance wavelength in the mobile phase.

Also, try two different mobile phases, one buffered with a pH of 2 units above the pKa of any acidic hydrogens, and one buffered with a pH of 2 units below (if these are also in safe operating conditions of your column). I.E., optimize the absorbance for your compounds by either removing all the acidic hydrogen's or having them all there.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:38:49 AM »
Is UV your only option? If not Refractive index (RI) or evaporative light scattering (ELSD) may give better results.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Jamemeup2152c

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
Thank you. Now I am doing derivatization of carbohydrates with Phenyl methyl pyrazolone (PMP). I did derivatization with some carbohydrates (ex: Glu,Man, Arab, etc.,).  But I am getting all the carbohydrate peaks at the same retention time. I am using C-18 column with H2O (100 mM amm.acetate buffer pH 5.5) : MeCN = 78% : 22%,  flow-0.8 ml/min.  What can I do?

Offline mahesh

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:34:31 AM »
Some journals do report the analysis of sugars and corresponding acids on UV detectors (you might want to see a few papers on glucose oxidation) .. however, UV is not the best detector for carbohydrates. RI is a much better option. I could get much better detection and quantification of sugars on RID.

Sponsored Links