April 29, 2024, 01:40:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Compound Stability / Synthesis Ideas  (Read 3755 times)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Compound Stability / Synthesis Ideas
« on: August 23, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »
I'm thinking a certain theoretical compound would work well for a synthesis, but I'm unsure what conditions would be necessary for the compound to exist, nor how to synthesize it.

The compound is a quaternary carbon attached to an R group, a hydrogen, a halogen (probably bromine), and an oxygen which is bound to an alkali metal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Compound Stability / Synthesis Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »
If I understand you correctly, this would be a tertiay carbon (as it's bonded to one hydrogen). In this case: too unstable, it will decompose to the aldehyde (assuming R is alkyl) and the alkali metal halogen salt. What are you trying to do, perhaps we can suggest an alternative?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
Ah, yes, sorry I misspoke - tertiary carbon.

I'm trying to control alter the Baylis-Hilman reaction in a way such that I can control the stereochemistry of the alcohol carbon in the product, and I thought that that compound could possibly replace the aldehyde, and the stereochemistry could be predetermined in that compound before the reaction.

I'm open to ideas, and thanks for the help - knew it would be unstable, but wasn't sure if there would be any possible conditions where it could exist.

Baylis-Hilman reaction -

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »
chiral auxiliary as R2?  see the zimmerman traxler transition state model for inspiration
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »
Yes.  I'm going to have to look into that model so I can understand it before I can manipulate it - just starting first sem. organic, but have some prior knowledge that I'm going on.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links