March 29, 2024, 05:07:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vortex Breaker design  (Read 13856 times)

Offline Riley_5000

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
  • Chemical Engineer
Vortex Breaker design
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »
Hi Everyone.

I need to design several vortex breakers for differently sized pipes (suction) at varied flowrates.
The standard "cross" breaker doesn't seem to work very well under our conditions.

My textbooks don't cover the topic, so can someone please help me at least find a few equations that cover the topic of vortex breaker design??

Thanks

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: Vortex Breaker design
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:06:09 PM »
Hello Riley_5000,

Sorry, I am having a very difficult time with your question. I know of 3 different definitions of breakers that can be used in a vortex, and all of them in completely different applications for completely different outcomes.

Can I ask you to provide a little more detail with your question?

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline Riley_5000

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
  • Chemical Engineer
Re: Vortex Breaker design
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:10:14 AM »
Thanks for trying. Apologies for the late response, I'm just back from leave now.

We're currently using the Standard cross type "+" which we weld directly into the pump suction pipe.

This doesn't seem to work very well. I have several steel pipes of varying diameter, each leading to different pumps. I  just need to get some equations where I could enter my pipe diameter and flowrate,etc and it gives a vortex breaker design as a result.

Assume all pipelines to be straight.

Sponsored Links