March 28, 2024, 03:46:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lewis Structure of Carbon Monoxide  (Read 16572 times)

Offline Frank Ose

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Lewis Structure of Carbon Monoxide
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »
Dear teachers,
                    I have been arguing with my teacher that Carbon forms triple bond with Oxygen , leaving 2 lone pairs, one at Carbon and one at Oxygen but she still insists that they would not form triple bond but double bond. She asserted that dative bond ( as oxygen contributes 4 electron in the triple bond) would not exist together with shared pairs of electrons in the same bond.Frankly speaking, I do not understand what she has said and I still believe my point of view.

I would be grateful if you can clarify my doubts by describing and drawing the lewis structure of CO.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Lewis Structure of Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 08:51:49 AM »
hey,

check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide

I don't get what your teacher is saying. There are 3 bonds between carbon and oxygen in Carbon monoxide, two of which are covalent bonds and the other is dative bonding, leaving oxygen and carbon each with alone pair. Actually there isn't much difference between a covalent bond and a dative bond just that in dative bonding, both the electrons are from the same atom. It is very unstable for oxygen to form triple covalent bond, as it just shorts of two more electrons to complete its octet structure, and also it does not have d orbitals available for expansion of orbitals. Therefore, oxygen would rather forms a dative bond rather than a third covalent bond.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Frank Ose

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Lewis Structure of Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:36:04 AM »
Thanks Sir. I also do not understand what my teacher has said. She tends to give unclear explanation that I can't comprehend and when I insist on asking her, she will stray away from the topic and continue teacher other topics.

You have indeed clarified my doubts, thanks a lot , especially the explanation regarding the d-orbitals of oxygen.  :)

Sponsored Links