April 28, 2024, 11:18:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Combustion analysis  (Read 5954 times)

Offline darknietzsche

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Combustion analysis
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »
I am having trouble beginning a combustion analysis problem and am wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction.

A compound weighing 5.714mg produced 14.414 mg of CO2 and 2.529 mg of water upon combustion. Find the weight percent of of C and H in the sample.

Here is what I know:

aX(unknown compound) :rarrow: bCO2 + cH2O where a,b, and c are coefficients to balance the equation

The above equation is something I assumed and not something given to me in the problem, if the equation is at fault please tell me.

moles of CO2= 3.276E-4
moles of H2O= 1.405E-4

All I want to know is maybe what i should look into doing next, if anyone could please help me it would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Combustion analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 12:29:53 PM »
What is a mass of carbon in produced CO2? Does it differ from the mass of carbon in 5.714 mg of the substance?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline darknietzsche

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »
From that logic which does make sense...I get that there is 3.93mg of Carbon and .2809 mg of Hydrogen. Which these numbers work. Can you assume in this situation that the rest of the mass of the sample is some other element probably Oxygen?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
Can you assume in this situation that the rest of the mass of the sample is some other element probably Oxygen?

That's a standard procedure, unless you know something more (like it is not oxygen, but nitrogen).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline darknietzsche

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »
Thank you very much. I am getting the hang of it.

Sponsored Links