March 28, 2024, 05:42:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help drawing Carbon Structure!.  (Read 12623 times)

Offline Aznhmonglor

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help drawing Carbon Structure!.
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »
(CH3)3CCH2CHC(CH3)2

Anybody have an idea on how that structure should look like....I tried to draw the structure but got it wrong....

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Help drawing Carbon Structure!.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:22:31 AM »
hey aznhmonglor,

you mean skeleton structure? Are you aware of alkene present in the molecule? The bracket means the methyl groups is on the same carbon.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Aznhmonglor

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:34:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply Astrokel...and sorry Yes I did mean the skeleton structure...sorry...but yes I'll post up a picture of what I drew and was wrong....

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:45:55 AM »
It looks correct to me, but you don't have to show the -CH3, a line out would do. which part is wrong?
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Aznhmonglor

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:50:01 AM »
It doesn't say which part is wrong and yes you dont have to show the CH3 but this particular program I used to get that picture used it...my picture is just the lines without any of the letters...Im very confused right now because my picture makes perfect sense to me...I have all the carbons and hydrogens I needed....and I followed all the rules (octet, duet)...any more suggestions?  :-\

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
It also looks correct to me...

Offline Aznhmonglor

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »
ARg...lol...it looks correct to me also but its not correct for some reason!...hmm whats the bond angle on the double bond? 120 right?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
ARg...lol...it looks correct to me also but its not correct for some reason!...hmm whats the bond angle on the double bond? 120 right?
Correct.  Is this graded by a computer, or real live person?  The only thing I can think of, were you meant to provide dashes and wedges for the sp3 carbons (it'd be a little stupid, since they aren't chiral, but...)

Offline Aznhmonglor

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 12:14:21 PM »
Its graded by computer...for the bond angles if you use the dash and the bold lines it would look like this right

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »
Its graded by computer...for the bond angles if you use the dash and the bold lines it would look like this right

Close.  You actually don't have any dashes or wedges on the double-bonded carbon, because it is sp2, and is planar.  Besides that, I'm not really sure, I would contact the professor who is in charge of the course and discuss it with them.

Offline Aznhmonglor

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
Ok Thanks macman...as long as you guys approve of my structure...was thinking that I got all that wrong and was in the wrong direction in the first place...

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 01:08:34 PM »
One last thing to check.  If you're using computer-aided drawing programs, sometimes you'll attempt to draw a bond sprouting from one carbon atom, but you're mouse will be just a bit off, and the bond will not actually connect to the parent chain.  What you would end up with is two separate molecules with the termini essentially overlapping on the screen.  you may check to make sure something like that isn't happening.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links