March 28, 2024, 08:23:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: chemical equilibrium  (Read 4449 times)

gavin31

chemical equilibrium
« on: April 13, 2005, 06:29:22 PM »
Hi
I just got assigned a new assignment regarding chemical equilibrium and I have no idea what to do.

One of the questions are:
I'm required to explain the effect that the following would do to the equilibrium according to Le Chaterlier's principle and then state which way the equilibrium would shift.

CO2(g) + 1/2 O2(g) <------> CO2(g) + 28.3 kJ
a) increase in temperature
b) increase in [O2]
c) introduce a catalyst
d) increase pressure by adding He(g)

Any help would be great. You can email me at gavinross31@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance!

Offline Vette Freak

• DNA Analyst
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-8
  • Go Terps!
Re:chemical equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 07:37:18 PM »
Did you mean to type CO(g) + 1/2 O2(g) <------> CO2(g) + 28.3 kJ ?

Le Chatelier's Principle states the equilibrium of a reaction will shift in such a way as to reduce/counter the effects of a change.

a) When the temperature increases, the reaction shifts towards the endothermic side to use the excess heat energy.  In this case, the forward reaction is exothermic so it shifts to the left.

b)  To counter an increase in a product or reactant, the reaction shifts in the direction that will use up the compound in excess. It shifts to the right.

c)  Introducing a catalyst will not shift the equilibrium of a reaction because it only increases the rate by decreasing the required activation energy.

d)  An increase in pressure will cause the equilibrium to shift in the direction that reduces the total number of gas molecules so the pressure will decrease.  In this case, there are 1.5 molecules on the left and 1 on the right so it will shift to the right.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 07:41:54 PM by Vette Freak »
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein

gavin31

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 05:39:27 PM »
thanks!

and another question, do you know any good sites where it explains the graph for these changes in equilibrium?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 07:20:46 PM »
check out our links section under "Chemistry Websites"
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links