April 29, 2024, 12:46:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: i don't know from where to start  (Read 10169 times)

Offline rabyu7ra

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
i don't know from where to start
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:17 PM »
Hello,

I'm enrolled in an advanced course of physical chemsitry, and this is the first time for me to take this type of courses, I don't know about: wavefunction, epsilon, transition dipole, operator, dipole operator,... I hear many terms in the lecture that I can't figure out..  ???
pls can u tell me from where to start studying, if there are certain books, websites that can help me in this course pls tell me about...

I want to start from zero in this course

loooking forward to hearing any help

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: i don't know from where to start
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »
Why are you taking an advanced physical chemistry course if you aren't familiar with these terms?

If the terms are being used without explanation, it sounds like you're expected to already have been familiar with them and had exposure to them.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:56:56 AM »
The best thing you can do for yourself is not take the advanced course. It is a bad sign to be that confused walking in the door.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline rabyu7ra

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »
Why are you taking an advanced physical chemistry course if you aren't familiar with these terms?

If the terms are being used without explanation, it sounds like you're expected to already have been familiar with them and had exposure to them.

assume that I'm an undergraduate student who wants to be specialized in this field, from where to start, i should start reading basic books and whatever, just pls tell me the primary courses that you took while you were undergradutes student..

Offline rabyu7ra

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »
The best thing you can do for yourself is not take the advanced course. It is a bad sign to be that confused walking in the door.

I liked the course even I can't solve the equations that I face, the problem is not in the text but in the equations that I can't solve, When i read from the book i understand the explanation and description but always face difficulty in solving the equations

I was going to drop the coure but guess what many students have the same problem and they still want to be in the course, and they even don't try to understand the basic all what they care is just to do the assigments and get the grades

so they are not better than me,

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »
Other then reading and understanding the material in your book for the course as well as a calculus book, I guess something like this might be what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Mathematics-Physical-Chemistry-3rd/dp/0131008455/

I am NOT saying it is a good book. Never even seen it.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »
assume that I'm an undergraduate student who wants to be specialized in this field, from where to start, i should start reading basic books and whatever, just pls tell me the primary courses that you took while you were undergradutes student..
I took physical chemistry 1 and physical chemistry 2.  You should go through a introductory physical chemistry course.
I liked the course even I can't solve the equations that I face, the problem is not in the text but in the equations that I can't solve, When i read from the book i understand the explanation and description but always face difficulty in solving the equations
You said in your original post that you don't understand the terms.  If it's the equations, then you need to review math.  Have you had differential equations or multivariable calculus?  Do you know what a partial derivative is?
I was going to drop the coure but guess what many students have the same problem and they still want to be in the course, and they even don't try to understand the basic all what they care is just to do the assigments and get the grades
This is horrible reasoning if you have not taken the course before this one that provides the information you need.

Offline rabyu7ra

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:36:54 PM »
I took physical chemistry 1 and physical chemistry 2.  You should go through a introductory physical chemistry course.
You said in your original post that you don't understand the terms.  If it's the equations, then you need to review math.  Have you had differential equations or multivariable calculus?  Do you know what a partial derivative is?
This is horrible reasoning if you have not taken the course before this one that provides the information you need.

ya, i mean when i read the terms within the text i understand what they mean but when i read the equations i don't understand how do the terms applied in the equations, and because i didn't take any math course even, whatever i will study calculus, physical chemistry... i will try to study hard...

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 12:24:48 PM »
I couldn't imagine having a physical chemistry course without calculus. Ummm.. I don't even know what to suggest to you.

Do you know what this equation means?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 04:37:01 PM by Mitch »
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
(mitch - you actually don't need the rev there.  It's correct if you omit it on both or have the rev on both.  It is incorrect if the rev is only on one)

An advanced physical chemistry will be incomprehensible without at least a year of calculus.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 04:37:25 PM »
Woops, I was just copy/pasting
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline rabyu7ra

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 11:11:42 AM »
Other then reading and understanding the material in your book for the course as well as a calculus book, I guess something like this might be what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Mathematics-Physical-Chemistry-3rd/dp/0131008455/

I am NOT saying it is a good book. Never even seen it.

the course's instructor suggested the same book for me, also i got a basic book in calculus...

thanks you

Offline rabyu7ra

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
I couldn't imagine having a physical chemistry course without calculus. Ummm.. I don't even know what to suggest to you.

Do you know what this equation means?

No.. I will know soon, as I said I got basic calculus book and I'm reading the book...

Sponsored Links