March 29, 2024, 06:44:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: While burning magnesium what are some qualitative and quantitative observations  (Read 10298 times)

Offline Fundz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
While burning magnesium (ribbon) what are some qualitative and quantitative observations before you burn it, while you burn it, and after you burn it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To show you I tried:

Before: Malleable, gray in color?, about 5 cm long, 3 mm thick.. don't know any more.

During: Very bright, smoke is released, don't know any more.

After: Loss shape, white in color, leaves ash on glass, don't know anymore..

Help? :confused:

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Looks more or less OK to me. Does it burn cold, or hot?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Fundz

I am unsure. Unfortunately I merely observed the experiment, I didn't perform it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
How do you think? Whoever did the experiment, how did s/he held the magnesium?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline dabaichi

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
You can observe the mass change of Mg for the reaction since when magnesium metal burns in air, the possible products are MgO and Mg3N2 solids which may result in a definite mass change.

Offline Fundz

Based off the procedure I am fairly certain it was a hot one.

As far as calculating mass change it is something I've yet to learn, but maybe we will go over it and I'll be able to do it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
You can observe the mass change of Mg for the reaction since when magnesium metal burns in air, the possible products are MgO and Mg3N2 solids which may result in a definite mass change.

You can write about mass changes only if you have weighted substance before and after experiment. Doesn't look to me like it was done.

Sponsored Links