April 29, 2024, 06:25:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Most Usefull Undergraduate Non-Engineering Coursework  (Read 5193 times)

Offline robbondo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Most Usefull Undergraduate Non-Engineering Coursework
« on: September 13, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »
Hello, first post on this board...  I am registering for Fall courses at my University and due to prerequisites and schedule conflicts I will only be able to register for two chemical engineering courses this quarter.  Since to maintain being a full time student I must take another course and I have no more humanities classes required I'm planning on taking either a math, computer science, or chemistry.  A little background, I have taken two quarters of C++ and there is one more quarter required before I can start taking upper division CS classes.  I have taken all the basic engineering required math + linear algebra which isn't required at my school, I'm thinking next quarter of taking either numerical methods or an upper division linear diff eq course(already taken lower division diff eq.) and my third option is taking P-chem which isn't required by my school either.  I plan on majoring in chemical engineering with a nanotechnology option and hopefully going to a decent grad school for material science.  Any recommendations?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Most Usefull Undergraduate Non-Engineering Coursework
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »
P-Chem s not required by your school for a Chemical Engineering degree? That just blows my mind!
If it is an elective you can take, I highly recommend it!

Also, if you are interested in materials science I would look into the Physics department and see if they offers a Solid State Physics elective and/or if the Chemistry department offers a Solid State Chemistry elective.

As for the chemical engineer degree, and if you ever need to work as a chemical engineer in the real world, for a math elective a Statistics course or two would be very useful.

Offline robbondo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Most Usefull Undergraduate Non-Engineering Coursework
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
Thanks...  I have spoken to other people who took more chemistry course work for their chemical engineering degree than what is required at my school, including P-chem.  I'm definitely considering the physical chemistry course instead of the numerical methods class now.  As I start reading about research that I find interesting I'm trying to base coursework on what I think would be helpful learning about the research that I find interesting.  The numerical methods and the computer science was geared towards molecular modeling type material science research.  A lot of the undergraduate research I'm involved in now though is more chemistry based then theoretical math/computer type research...  Thanks for the advice.  I hope I get some more input on this question...

Sponsored Links