April 29, 2024, 01:55:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help Valorating (Volumetry)  (Read 3250 times)

Offline pajarita

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help Valorating (Volumetry)
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
I weigthed 3 samples of X compund which i know percent of pureness (sorry i know correct terms in spanish) and molar mass. Then i tritrated each sample with the substance Y i want to know it's concentration (and i know the reaction that takes place).

This is what i was doing but got slightly different concentrations (i'm guessing i'm supposed to get same concentration for substance Y??).

(impure grams of X)(pure grams X/impure grams X)(1 mol X/ __g X)(1 mol Y/1 mol X) then i divided Y mol with Liters needed to consume X. In all of them i get something similar to: .112, .116, .117

Is that right? Am i missing something? Do i need to know the stecheometry of the reaction?

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-9
Re: Help Valorating (Volumetry)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:09:34 AM »
Is that right? Am i missing something? Do i need to know the stecheometry of the reaction?

Yes it looks right but only if 1 mol Y = 1 mol X. Yes you need to know the stoichiometry of the reaction.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 05:06:19 AM »
This is what i was doing but got slightly different concentrations (i'm guessing i'm supposed to get same concentration for substance Y??).

They should be close, but not identical because of experimental errors.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pajarita

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:52:45 AM »
Yes 1 mol X = 1mol of Y, oh but that is the stoichiometry of the reaction isn't it? I was thinking of equivalence point and other things. Thank you very much  :)

Sponsored Links