April 25, 2024, 12:08:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is possible the creation of the Antimatter-bomb?  (Read 10442 times)

Offline Vortex

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Is possible the creation of the Antimatter-bomb?
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »
Before 4 years the first antimatter atoms were created in the European Nuclear research institute. Until then antimatter was just a thery. It became reality. Antimatter atoms are VERY unstable and have a big energy cargo. 1 gramm of antimatter has the power of the atomic bomb of Hiroshima. :o Of course for NOW 1 gramm is a HUGE quantity for being produced, but in the future? Do you believe the super-bomb will be reality one day?

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
Re: Is possible the creation of the Antimatter-bomb?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:48:19 AM »
Theoretically it is possible, but in practice not so easy.
You will need an antiproton source (GeV class particle accelerator), positron scource (radioactive sodium) and liquid helium cooled magnetic trap just to get and store 100 or so antihydrogen atoms per second. In order to get just 1 gram you'll need to run the whole setup 24/7 for 1.9*1014 years. The electric bill alone would bankrupt a small country in matter of years.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Vortex

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:44:00 AM »
No i am not saying that a civilian can do that. of course NO. I am saying in the level of a state can be done? e.g in Los Alamos can they do this? If not today how about in 10-15 years?  ;)

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:30:37 AM »
Of course you need covermental backup since antiproton scources are such a rarity. As far as I know there are only three facilities capable of reaching such high energies CERN, Fermilab and Brookhaven National Laboratory. Even with suffient funds and a particle accelerator with diameter of several kilometers the project will take longer than expected life-cycle of the sun.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline Vortex

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:49:55 PM »
I sent an email to CERN and the answer i took was: "No"... Just like that.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »
Such a bomb will bankrupt the military. It must be a cost-effective weapon too in order for the Military to take it up.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Vortex

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
Such a bomb will bankrupt the military. It must be a cost-effective weapon too in order for the Military to take it up.

If the creation was possible i dont believe the cost would be a problem. (For US at least) An antimatter bomb would be a "super-nova" weapon and everyone would like to have it.

Offline Vortex

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
I want to tell you that the movie that "inspired" all this talk about antimatter bomb comes to the cinemas. "Angels and Deamons" with Tom hanks.

-I dont know maybe in USA its already in the cinemas-here not yet.

Offline kd.gns

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »
I'd like to point out that Angels and Demons is a work of fiction, needless to say, artistic license was used frequently in both the book and the movie, take it as a form of entertainment, not as inspiration.

Sponsored Links