April 20, 2024, 04:58:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: saturated solution of NaCl and added CH3COCH3  (Read 5638 times)

Offline xirt

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
saturated solution of NaCl and added CH3COCH3
« on: September 15, 2008, 02:47:06 AM »
In a saturated solution of NaCl, CH3COH3 is added drop by drop into a vial. What happens to the solution? If the saturated solution is in water, then I'm assuming that since water has a higher degree of polarity the NaCl will stay dissolved within the water molecules and the acetane does nothing to the solution. But when I read my procedure in a lab, it says that add drops of Acetane into the saturated solution until something happens. My lab group did the wrong procedure and were not able to observe this correctly. If someone can help with what can be observed when Acetane is added to a saturated solution of NaCl. This would help a lot with my write-up. Thanks!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: saturated solution of NaCl and added CH3COCH3
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 03:08:39 AM »
Acetone forms solution with water without any concentration limits. NaCl is not soluble in acetone. Then what can happen?
Moreover, an additional possibility also exists. May be a salting effect can be observed.
AWK

Offline xirt

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: saturated solution of NaCl and added CH3COCH3
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:11:15 AM »
Does that mean a solution of water and acetone is made and that salt cannot be soluble in it anymore? So if I'm making an observation of this, the ions will then pop out and become NaCl again?

Sponsored Links