April 29, 2024, 02:14:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Suggestion For First Year Undergrad Chemistry  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Mikez

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
  • gaudium in veritate
Suggestion For First Year Undergrad Chemistry
« on: July 07, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »
I am about to take CHM138H1 and CHM139H1 (University of Toronto First year chem courses) and I am in the process of buying textbooks. I found the course textbook too difficult to understand, not enough instruction so I am hoping to get additional books (since U of T professors have the reputation of being overwhelmed by the number of students so help is usually not available).

-I've used the search function on the forum and I found that some of the book suggestions from the members were either too advanced for my level or I couldn't get a hold of them.

Does anyone have any book suggestions or study tips for these two courses?
-I often find that by the time, I get to exams, I've completely forgotten everything from the previous units and I really don't know "how to review effectively"

Thank You

CHM138H1
Introductory Organic Chemistry I [39L, 18P, 12T]

An introduction to principles of structure and their relation to reactivity of organic molecules: molecular structure, stereochemistry, functional groups, and reactions. Recommended for students in life and health science programs that involve a small amount of chemistry
NOTE: CHM138H1 and CHM139H1 may be taken in either order, but not both in the same session.

CHM139H1
Chemistry: Physical Principles [39L, 18P, 12T]

Structure of matter, gases, liquids and solids; phase equilibria and phase diagrams; colligative properties; chemical equilibria; electrolyte solutions and electrochemistry; reaction kinetics; introduction to thermodynamics. Recommended for students in life and health science programs that involve a small amount of chemistry

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Suggestion For First Year Undergrad Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
The subject itself is difficult. I would suggest Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry". If you need more help than the textbook, I would look into study guides and other axillary avenues.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »
Schaums guides are always good companions for undergrads as well.
Plus they are really cheap.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:46:34 PM »
Could you give examples of texts that you find too advanced? This will help to recommend.

Have you looked at any Oxford Chemistry Primers? These are small, concise and cheap. Some are quite advanced, but there are introductory texts in all branches of chemistry.

Here is a list: http://www.oup.co.uk/oxfordtextbooks/chemistry/ocp/

In the Organic series, for example, there are two primers by Hornby & Peach on the foundations of Organic Chemistry aimed at finishing high school students, one being a collection of worked examples. I just checked the US amazon and the former is available second hand for $4, the latter for $15.

Similar "foundations of..." and "essentials of..." primers also exist for inorganic and physical chemistry, as well as mathematics and physics for chemists in the Oxford Chemistry Primer series.

A general chemistry text is also probably a good place to start.

For Organic specifically, beyond the foundation primers I've already mentioned, I would recommend "A guidebook to mechanism in organic chemistry - Peter Sykes" - currently $70 on amazon (US), and there are two auctions currently going on the US ebay. I think this is the best text for a first year undergrad for organic - but you will probably outgrow it in a year or two. It isn't a pretty colourful book, it has very old-school schemes etc., so it is visually a bit offputting at first, but the content is generally top notch.

Next up is the famous "Organic Chemistry - Clayden, Greeves, Warren & Wothers" - currently going for $50 on the US amazon. This is a very popular organic text, and rightly so. This one is colourful and has a much more modern presentation. If you're the kind of person who writes kaleidoscopic lecture notes (I'm not having a go, I'm just saying), then you'll get on especially well with it - but it's worth getting hold of in any case.

I hope that helps, good luck.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Mikez

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
  • gaudium in veritate
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
Thanks

I guess I might be finding it difficult because I didn't do so well in senior HS chemistry, I am ESPECIALLY WEAK in organic chemistry (I got 51% & 69% on the organics tests). I would really appericiate any help in improving my organic chemistry. I really find it difficult to memorize all those functional groups, reactions, and nomenclature....I forget like 10 minutes after studying them for 40 min.

These were the official material I go for the courses:
   * Organic Chemistry, 6th edition by John McMurry (Brooks/Cole, 2004)
    * Macroscale and Microscale Organic Experiments , 5 th edition by - Williamson Minard & Masters (Houghton Mifflin)
-I am guessing I couldn't understand because of my weak background in organic chemistry. Really need some help. I am really hoping to find a sort of teach-yourself book that would cover ALL the background I need to succeed in organic chemistry (a lot of the books skip out on important background material).

thanks again

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:59:59 PM »
I've found the following website to be a useful resource for organic chemistry help.  The tutorials are especially helpful, although the other sections such as the practice problems (CFQ & PP) are useful as well.

http://web.chem.ucla.edu/~harding/index.html

I've also heard good things about this other site:

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtTxtJml/intro1.htm

These sites may help as good supplements to your textbooks where you can easily look up information on some of the basics.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:52:58 PM »
For organic chem i can recommend Morrison & boyd http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-6th/dp/0136436692
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links