April 26, 2024, 08:05:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: mg/kg dilute solution help, from paper to flask  (Read 4489 times)

Offline erlenmeyerllc

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
mg/kg dilute solution help, from paper to flask
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
I'm trying to make an 85mg/kg solution of peroxides to solvent. I want to make it on small scale and then dilute to the necessary specs. Can someone please help me with this???I don't have too much experience with it and would sincerely appreciate it. So far the concentrations I've experimented with have failed. I don't have too much peroxide for this and would like to use as little as possible. Thanks for your *delete me*

Offline erlenmeyerllc

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: mg/kg dilute solution help, from paper to flask
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 10:53:39 PM »
Also, is it true that 1mg/kg is equal to 1 ppm?...If so...How would I prepare this solution with little peroxide?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: mg/kg dilute solution help, from paper to flask
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:09:18 AM »
Also, is it true that 1mg/kg is equal to 1 ppm?

Yes.

You have to assume that your solution density ois that of solvent used. Decide on the mixture volume - say 1000 mL. Calculate its mass. Calculate mass of peroxide needed. Weight and dissolve.

Weighting 85 mg can be difficult. You may try to weight some more and dissolve it to prepare more concentrated solution (say 500 ppm or something like that). Then do the same as above - just instead of weighting measure volume of the concentrated solution that contains exact amount you need and dilute to requested volume.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links