April 29, 2024, 07:32:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Specific Gravity Charts - Where to Find  (Read 8833 times)

Offline lablackey

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Specific Gravity Charts - Where to Find
« on: September 19, 2008, 10:49:39 AM »
This isn't a specific chemical engineering question, but I'm betting chemical engineers know where to find stuff like this.

I have the charts on HCl, NaOH, NaCl, and Na2CO3solutions that have been photocopied over and over and I have no idea of their origin.  Does anyone know where I can find charts like them -perhaps updated and with different solutions?  They have data on Baume, specific gravity, percent concentration, g/L, lb/ft3, and lb/gal.

It bugs me to not know where my references come from.  Thanks in advance.

-LL ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Specific Gravity Charts - Where to Find
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
Go to Knovel site and look for International Critical Tables - some time ago they were offered for free, I suppose it didn't changed. Note: you will have to dig through TOCs as whole thing is divided into small pdf files with cryptic names.

Alternatively, google for international critical tables torrent.

These are not tables you are referring to - as far as I remember they don't contain densities in other units then g/cm3. Still, these are very good ones.

If you are looking for a collection of density tables, check my concentration calculator CASC (see signature for link). It does many concentration conversions on the fly, if needed I may add other concentrations/density units to those already displayed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:14:25 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lablackey

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
Thanks for the links.  I'm sure they'll be useful, but I still wish I could find the origin of these charts.  They're so useful for unraveling production recipes.  I'll keep searching.  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:38:28 PM »
You may check CRC handbook as well.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »
Hello lablackey,

I agree with Borek's comments, most standardized tables are in the CRC handbook or other common references that are in the university library.

There are many proprietary tables in the oilfield, and most are generated by suppliers of the material. If you want to be sure of the data with an unreferenced chart, you can perform the tests to validate the information. Usually, this is the best method, as most standardized charts are composed of >99% material. This is not common in the oilfield, but may be common in the pharmaceutical industry where reactions are very sensitive to contamination.

These are just a few thoughts.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline lablackey

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
Thanks to all - found out there were in the CRC, but not in the more recent editions.  I got ahold of the 41st edition and found a bounty of data.  ;D

Sponsored Links