April 26, 2024, 10:32:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: [HELP] oil become solid  (Read 11729 times)

Offline jazzcoutique

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
[HELP] oil become solid
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:44:49 AM »
hi guys need help a little, newbie here so if i'm not in the correct forum, i'm sorry,

here the question, i have some coconut oil, and i put in the refrigerator temperature (5 degree Celcius), and the Oil become like solid (like toufu things) so i need help, if there any compotation or ingridient or way, to maintain the oil not become solid, and stay became liquid, even i put in refrigerator temperature (5 degree),

PLzz help.. from anybody here thx

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: [HELP] oil become solid
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »
Heat it back to the room temp. Once you add something it will be no longer coconut oil.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:14:32 PM »
This isn't really an analytical question, but really more of a citizen chemist question, but that's a pretty fine point, we don't mind too much.

At any rate, whenever you dissolve anything in something, you lower it's freezeing point, that's called colligative properties {wiki link}, so adding a little oil of another type will keep it fluid at fridge temp, if you can't just warm it up, like Borek said.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jazzcoutique

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:26 PM »
the thing is, i want the oil still be at liquid condition even if i put it in the refrigerator (5 degree C),

hmmm... adding another type of oil ? , is it possible to mix another oil to coconut oil and put it in the refrigerator (5 degree C) and still be at liquid condition ??

plz more help needed....
thx

NB: i know if become solid just warm it up, and it will be at liquid condition again, BUT i want the oil still at liquid condition even at 5 Degree C

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »
Why do you need it to be liquid at that temp?

I have a jar of coconut oil which is solid even at room temp.

to get a liquid at that temp you will need adulterate the sample so much it will not be "coconut oil" any more
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:13:15 PM »
Could you mix it with ethanol?

Offline jazzcoutique

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:17:49 AM »
is a good idea, but sadly, if i mix it with ethanol then i couldn't use it anymore for food,

is there any idea, mix it with something that harmless to eat

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:14:23 PM »
i never thought of pure ethanol as harmful

Offline Sep

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »
is a good idea, but sadly, if i mix it with ethanol then i couldn't use it anymore for food,

is there any idea, mix it with something that harmless to eat
basically the idea is, if something freezes at 5 degrees C and you want it to not freeze at 5 degrees C you would add something to it to do this. It can be anything for the most part( i will get to this later) and once you mix the two you no longer have a pure substance but what is called a solution. And im not sure if that's what you want. But going to the mixing part, when you mix two or more things into solutions  you should follow the rule of thumb "like dissolves like" which means polar substances can dissolved or have, other polar substances dissolved in them. And non polar substances can have or be dissolved into other non polar substances. Oil is non polar, and water is polar. I would say maybe add some salt, but it's really not going to dissolve in there, plus if it did it would make your oil salty and you would have to manipulate your cooking so it doesnt come out salty. I think it would be easier if you either raised your refrigerator temp a little or didnt keep the coconut oil in the refrigerator. Because I cant really think of any nonpolar things you can add to your oil. Most oils solidify in the refrigerator so mixing other oils wouldnt help you much either.

Sponsored Links