March 28, 2024, 06:10:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Career Concerns  (Read 5530 times)

chiraldecay

Career Concerns
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:34:10 AM »
Hello all, this is my first post on ChemicalForums, so I hope you'll bear with me if I ask some common questions. It's just that I can't find anyone else who knows how to answer them.

I'm an undergraduate who recently changed my major to chemistry due to an intense interest in the subject and the fact that it seems to be the connective tissue between all the science. That said, now I need to seriously consider how I'm going to feed myself in future. I'm considering all my options, but I don't know how much I'm limiting myself here. My father is a civil engineer and he is encouraging me to look into chemical engineering, something I think might be a good idea, but I have more questions than answers. Please forgive all the basic questions and assumptions I've made.

1. Can an chemistry BS pursue an MS in Chemical engineering if so inclined? I understand there may be a need to take extra courses and work some unfamiliar material but does it count against you when applying to a graduate program?

2. Can a Chemistry degree holder of any level (NOT a degree in chemical engineering) find work as a chemical engineer? At first I thought no, and then a source said yes, and I've been getting mixed messages ever since.

3. Is the pay for a chemical engineer significantly higher than an equivalent degree in chemistry?

4. In industry, how does the role of a chemist differ from that of a chemical engineer?

5. (This is really important to me) Does a chemical engineer ever do lab work to synthesize novel product, or does innovation for the engineer lie in synthesizing profitable processes to produce the product?

6. What is the interaction between chemists and chemical engineers in a work environment?

Thank you very much in advance for answering my questions.

Offline sdp

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Career Concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »
I'll answer what I can:

1. Most certainly. You may need some remedial course work, but that fact won't keep you from being accepted to a graduate school to pursue such a degree.

2. Really depends on the employer and the scope of the work you would be conducting. I'm not too sure, though.

3. Inexperienced chemical engineers tend to make ~$60K a year, and that pay increases as you become more experienced. The median salary for a professional chemist tends around $45K a year.

Sponsored Links