March 29, 2024, 03:12:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A Question about Lewis Bronsted  (Read 5549 times)

Chemd00d

A Question about Lewis Bronsted
« on: April 17, 2005, 12:51:28 PM »
I'm sorry if I have the wrong place and the wrong forum, but this was the only place on the 'net where I could find Chem buffs. I have a report to do on a famous chemist, and I was assigned Lewis Bronsted. Now here's the problem. I've searched Google, Biography.com, and Nobelprize.com, and can't find any information on Lewis Bronsted. However, I can find webpages on Lewis vs Bronsted, and I have found two people with the last names of Lewis and Bronsted seperately, and not as one person. My question is, is there an actual Lewis Bronsted? Was/is he one person? Or did my teacher make a stupid mistake and assign me two people? Thanks for any and all help, and please respond ASAP, because this assignment is due in 10 days, and I'm still stuck on researching a guy that could actually be two people.

Thanks
-Eric

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:A Question about Lewis Bronsted
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »
Lewis and Bronsted are 2 different people.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Chemd00d

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 05:17:58 PM »
Thanks so much. I think I need to have a talk with my teacher about this...she made it seem like they were one. She told me all about him (but really them) and their involvements with acids/bases, so now I have something to catch her on. Thanks again.

Chemd00d

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 06:16:02 PM »
I also have another question. Are Bronsted/Lowery acids the same thing as the Lewis-Bronsted acids, or did Lewis and Bronsted work on something completely different?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 06:26:20 PM »
There are Bronsted Lowry acids and Lewis acids. Every BL acid is Lewis acid, but not every Lewis acid is BL acid - these are different things. Lewis theory is more general.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Chemd00d

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 03:41:11 PM »
Thanks, you guys really helped me a lot.

Sponsored Links