April 27, 2024, 02:01:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Coordination Chemistry of Al3+  (Read 5576 times)

Offline staceydangerfield

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Coordination Chemistry of Al3+
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:52:01 PM »
I'm having trouble figuring out the balanced equations for reactions that occured in a lab i did.

In this experiment we first dissolved solid KOH in water. From there we put this basic solution into a beaker of aluminum foil. After the reaction finished, we boiled the solution to fully dissolve the aluminum. We then gravity filtered it. 2,4-pentanedione was added and then filtered.

We have to write the balanced equations of all the redox and Lewis acid/base reactions in the experiment. So far I saw 3 reactions occuring. (I am most likely wrong)

The first was KOH ---> K+ + OH-

The second was the addition of the basic solution to the Al.  I'm not positive to what the equation would be but I was thinking alot the lines of K+ + OH- + Al ---> Al(OH)3 + K+  The problem with this is how aluminum was deprotonated into aluminum(III).

The final was the addition of the pentanedione where it is first deprotonated.  I think acac- anion then displaces the OH on the aluminum(III) hydroxide and creates aluminum(III) acetylacetonate.

For all I know all of these are incorrect.  I find I have alot of trouble figuring out equations of reactions that occur.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Coordination Chemistry of Al3+
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »
Balance this reaction:
KOH + Al + H2O = KAl(OH)4 + H2
AWK

Sponsored Links