March 28, 2024, 04:13:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Inventory Computer Programs  (Read 17243 times)

Offline djroac01

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical Inventory Computer Programs
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
I work at a small company and I was put in charge of looking into chemical inventory computer programs to help maintain/keep track of solvents, reagents, and products. 

I was wondering if anyone, preferably with experience with the program, could recommend a program.  I am looking for user friendliness and good organization along with other necessary data. 

Please provide a link to a website if possible.

Thanks,
David

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Chemical Inventory Computer Programs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »
Try to google for LIMS systems. While it is not just a inventory software, you may be able to find some reasonable leads.

The same question was asked this year on CHEMED-L, but it got only one response. Still, some names were listed.

http://mailer.uwf.edu/listserv/wa.exe?A2=ind0806&L=chemed-l&T=0&F=&S=&P=22897

http://mailer.uwf.edu/listserv/wa.exe?A2=ind0806&L=chemed-l&T=0&F=&S=&P=24929
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »
You could just do a Microsoft Access database, or the equivalent free version in OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org).

Offline James

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:12:17 AM »
Hi,

For a software to manage Chemical inventory, it  shall provide following basic functions:

1. Shelf life monitoring -- i.e. to monitor the materials' expiry date, if possible, to alert user before it reach end of shelf life

2. FIFO Control -- i.e., to ensure First-In-First-Out practice is in place. Operator/user shall use the old batches (if more than 1 batch). If FIFO practice is not being observed, you will suffer huge losses due to expiry and affect your product quality as well.

3. Batch Tracking -- all received materials are having different manufacturing information such as batch no, lot no, manufacturing date, special remark etc. This info is crucial for you to complaint to your supplier if having quality problems in your process. If you are using these material to reprocess and sell to your customer, you need to track your process info as well when you receive feedback from your customers. Therefore, traceability is important.

4. Multi-UOM conversion -- UOM means Unit-of-Measurement (eg. KG, Litre, Drum, Bag, Unit etc) ie. system shall able to convert from different packaging UOM to another UOM. This is important especially when you receive material in drum, then repackage it into small bag.

5. User friendly -- this is a must for operator to use it effectively.

6. Embedded with barcode technology -- good to have. This can minimize data booking error and improve productivity.

There are lots more .

In the past, we have been helping many Small Industries to improve their inventory control in Raw material, WIP and finished goods. This is just some experience to share with. We have developed a software called Chronos e-StockCard to over come the above issues as well. Website: www.estockcard.com. Please feel free download for trial.

I hope it helps you in searching your right inventory software. Thanks

James.

Offline doc30

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:46:51 AM »
Check out CisPro from ChemSW.

http://www.chemsw.com/

We did the in-house inventory by hand and switched to this company. It was a big time saver. Staff could to their primary functions without spending a lot of time doing an inventory by hand. It also holds the MSDS's.

Cojuen

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:16:00 AM »
This is a very old topic ... but in search for an inventory software that works, this topic came up.

This goes to everyone who's just starting to organize, manage an inventory or business items.  At least try to settle with the new environment or business for a month or two, by then you will become familiar with the ins and out of each item, shelf life, etc. and be able to determine what you need in your system to save you time and be more efficient to other things that matters aside from inventory and re-stocking.  Just like a home, each has different lifestyle and preferences of orderliness, and this must be met when we avail a software since it doesn't come cheap.

We sell different gadgets, from PC's, laptops to USBs so we definitely need a software to monitor our stocks.  Our distributer recommended http://www.wrnty.com/ so he can link us to his Wrnty software too (there's a youtube video for this, keyword: Wrnty.)  The operation worked well for us, we're now checking out/practicing the online warranty that we can offer to our customers as well.

To TS, if you're still active do give us a follow up on how you were able to organize and keep the chemicals updated.  It can be a learning experience for others who have similar experience to yours.   

Sponsored Links