March 28, 2024, 01:17:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Understanding truly endo/exo-thermic  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Loveibanez

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Understanding truly endo/exo-thermic
« on: January 02, 2009, 07:45:01 PM »
Hi, in an endothermic reaction:
If the products have gained energy, why do the products get colder?
vice versa with exothermic.
is it that it is stored energy and it is that  it's just the surroundings that become colder ?

also. polar molecules:

I dont get the meaning of "cancels out" when describing balanced charges in non-polar molecules due to symmetrical arrangement.  Like, it's not like maths.  What is actually happening when we say" it cancels out"

Thanks!

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Understanding truly endo/exo-thermic
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »
If the products have gained energy, why do the products get colder?
Not the products, it is the surrounding that gets colder as heat is absorbed from the surrounding. Vice versa for exothermic, heat energy is released from the reaction to the surrounding resulting in higher temeprature. The products have just lower in energy in exothermic reaction and higher energy in endothermic than the reactants. If you have done the experiments, i can explain to you in term of systems why it is the surrounding and not the products gain/loss temeprature.

I dont get the meaning of "cancels out" when describing balanced charges in non-polar molecules due to symmetrical arrangement.
balanced charges? I asusme you mean dipole moment? Dipole moment can be treated as a vector quatity, so if the molecules are symmetrical arrangement such as linear, tetrahedral....then the resultant dipole is zero because the electron density of each bond is being 'pulled' equally to the same extent.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Loveibanez

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Understanding truly endo/exo-thermic
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
Thanks man.

Sponsored Links