March 29, 2024, 04:36:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cool question  (Read 2291 times)

Offline ToSSiN

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cool question
« on: October 01, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »
First I would like to say that I am new here, 1st post ever :) and I love chemistry :).  This question was actually on a test I recently had, and I was pretty surprised when I learned about this.  The test was just on bonding and such pretty easy but this question was interesting I thought.

The question was..

Predict the shape and bond angles of XeF4. The interesting part is that Xe is a noble gas, but it can actually form COMPOUNDS!!

Now when I answered this question I had no idea what to do first of all, I was confused because most elements bond to form a stable octet, or in some cases like the large group 15 or 16 elements that can form a stable valence of 10 and 12, or like Be or B that have valences of 4 and 6. 

So I took a shot in the dark and hoped that maybe since Xe is a group 18 (noble gas) maybe it was possible for it to have a valence of 16.  The actual answer is that it is possible for Xe to have 12 valence electrons. 

Most people probably know this but I just thought it was interesting ><

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Cool question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links