April 26, 2024, 10:37:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bomb Calormiter  (Read 3050 times)

Offline JoeJoe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bomb Calormiter
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:24:04 PM »
I'm doing a practice test for a quiz on friday, and I'm stumped on the following question.

Question:
what is the temperature increase of the bomb calorimeter?

Acetylene (C2H2)
Mass = 0.250 g C2H2(g) is combusted in a bomb calorimeter.
molar enthalpy of combustion for acetylene is –2599 kJ.
Heat capacity of the calorimeter is 715 J/K and it contains 1.200 kg of water
The specific heat capacity of water is 4.184 J/g×K
Molar mass of acetylene is 26.04 g/mol.

We havent learned this yet in class, which I assume we'll do sometime this week. But if anyone knows how to go about solving this problem or what the formula to solve it would be, I'd appreciate it. Doing some google work I found this, however I dont know what all the viables stand for

Offline Naumans

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Bomb Calormiter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:57:47 PM »
hmm,

To solve this problem you have to look at it in a qualitative way at first, then when you understand whats happening then and only then put the numbers in the equations, makes doing the problem a lot easier, and you probably get the right answer.

1. heat is evolved from the combustion of acetylene
2. which goes into the surroundings (the water)
4. raising the temp of the water
5. which then raises the temp of bomb calorimeter

then evaluate what you are given

after this is done the question should seem pretty easy

change in enthalpy is given divide that by moles of acetylene you the get the heat transfer to water

use some calorimetery formulas q=mct find t for the water, then do the same for the transfer of heat to the bomb calorimeter and you should be able to get the answer

thats as much as i am gonna say since this forum uses the socratic method for answering problems(but i gave you a lot more then i should have  :) )

oh and this formula that you got of wikipedia relates total internal energy to internal energy of sys. and surr. you don't really need this to solve this problem plus its using partial derivatives and stuff nothing you need to know for this prob.

Sponsored Links