April 20, 2024, 12:10:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Copper(II)Sulfate + Hydrochloric Acid  (Read 12328 times)

Offline CopperSulfate

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Copper(II)Sulfate + Hydrochloric Acid
« on: October 06, 2008, 05:45:26 PM »
I am mixing Copper(II)Sulfate and Hydrochloric Acid. When adding a concentration of under 3.0mol/liter (of HCl) it does not change color unless it is heated (the only heating test I have actually done is with 1.0mol/liter and it changed color to green at about 100 degrees). When the concentration is above about 3.0mol/liter (hydrochloric acid) the reaction will turn green which I assume is the Copper(II)Chloride complex. What I don't completely understand is the reason for needing the concentration of the hydrochloric acid to be over about 3mol/liter or heating it to a higher temperature for the Copper(II)Chloride complex to be formed. Thanks!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Copper(II)Sulfate + Hydrochloric Acid
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:49:44 PM »
Honestly - no idea, but what you see is an equilbrium between two complexes - in one ligand is water, in other chlorides. Thus you have full spectra of explanations possible, starting with kinetics of ligand exchange, ending with stability constants.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links