April 25, 2024, 01:29:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Odd series of questions regarding mineral oil reactivity...  (Read 24718 times)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Odd series of questions regarding mineral oil reactivity...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 08:47:03 PM »
This question comes up quite often, and there is really only one answer.  I stayed out of this discussion, because I don't want to seem discouraging, but before you all wear yourselves out ... Some liquids will corrode or oxidize the metals used, some will attack the resins used to make boards and chips.  When you strike out all of them, you're left with one fluid -- Fluorinert made by 3M.  It is expensive, and even when Cray supercomputers need to use it, sophisticated engineering is needed, and for reasons I'm sure are well outlined in some research papers authored by Cray engineers, still not ideal for their application.  Mineral oil just won't work.  If it did, why would Cray have had 3M develop Fluorinert?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorinert
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 09:31:57 PM »
Arkcon, this site seems to suggest that mineral oil is very possible.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Just because a high-end computer company like Cray paid 3M to come up with a material for their supercomputers doesn't mean that for hobbyists on small scales it doesn't work.  I'm sure it has downsides, but like I said, for a hobbyist, I'm sure it works.

Offline Spaminator

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »
Ya Puget systems is one of the companies I've been basing alot of my information on. They seem to have a good handle on how to do it. I'm just more concearned about corrosion because I am going to simultaneously water cool my system.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 07:46:46 AM »
Arkcon, this site seems to suggest that mineral oil is very possible.

Wow, according to that site, one year without any attack on the resins or sealant, just some adhesive labels coming off.  That is impressive.  Gonna have to bookmark that for the next time it comes up on /.  Pugetsystems insists it's not a hoax, but it runs counter to everything I've read before.  Do it Spaminator:, macman: will buy you a new computer if you fry it.*

*Disclaimer:  I do not represent macman:
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:08 AM »
Hahahaha, I wish I had the funds to support spaminators endeavor, but I just bought a new computer myself (after my old one was splashed with a cup full of coke) :)

Sponsored Links