April 25, 2024, 04:51:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ammonia-catalyst?  (Read 6518 times)

Offline calculus_jy

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
ammonia-catalyst?
« on: October 07, 2008, 01:33:24 AM »
there are sources which state ammonia as a catalyst for the solvay (ammonia-soda) process whilst my teacher says that it is not
from my understanding -a catalyst provides alternate pathway for a chemical reaction with lower activation energy -but does that apply only to elementry chemical reactions in which case ammonia will not count as a catalyst ?

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: ammonia-catalyst?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:44:02 AM »
I think the reason your prof is saying that is because (I believe) HCl is a byproduct of that reaction, which consumes some of the ammonia (acid-base reaction).

Offline calculus_jy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 01:55:46 AM »
 have i posted the wrong process?? or have you posted in wrong thread? because i dont think there is HCl in solvay process for production of Na2CO3 if i am wrong tell me
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:21:22 AM by calculus_jy »

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:12:05 AM »
Catalysts are also species in a reaction that can be recycled over and over.

If you look at the process, ammonia is consumed, but from that, NH4Cl is made.  Then at a later step, NH4Cl is consumed the produces NH3, which is recycled back into the reaction.  So in the end, you have an almost 0 gain/loss of NH3, and thus it can in a sense be called a catalyst.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:25:45 AM »
I understand the logic behind calling ammonia the catalyst, but I would not call it this way.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline calculus_jy

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »
and the reason? and so is it a catalyst or not? i have a yes;no=1;1 . i am quite confused now...

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 03:15:46 AM »
I would not call a catalyst substance that doesn't lower activation energy - it doesn't here. I would not call a catalyst substance that gets consumed in the process - and ammonia gets consumed.

Ammonia changes reaction pathway changing solution pH and removing produced HCl, and it gets consumed in the process. It is then reclaimed in separate reaction.

At least thats my understanding of the situation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links