April 26, 2024, 05:54:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: solvent that MgBr2 is soluble in?  (Read 10464 times)

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
solvent that MgBr2 is soluble in?
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:56:04 PM »
I am looking for some kind of online guide or anything that can help me to find which solvent can be used to dissolve specific compounds.  currently I am looking to see what MgBr2 is soluble in.  any suggestions? I am using THF right now but it appears not to be dissolving that well at room temp.

Offline nielsgeode

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: solvent that MgBr2 is soluble in?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 04:49:02 PM »
did you try water  ;D

seriously: if THF doesn't work I don't think you will find a solvent that does work. Maybe DMSO (or methanol if the chemistry allows you to use that)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
You can try the CRC, if you have a handy source, or just google it if you're at the computer.  But the general concept is, like dissolves like.  So really, an ionic salt, either dissolves in water or doesn't.  Non-polar solvents aren't the answer to ionic salts that won't dissolve in water.  That just seems counter intuitive to me. 

*[EDIT]*

Oh look, a quick search for it's MSDS lets me know it's also soluble in methanol

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:BLW2X9FSOnAJ:www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Magnesium_bromide-9924540+magnesium+bromide+MSDS&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us&client=firefox-a
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline nielsgeode

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »
You can try the CRC, if you have a handy source, or just google it if you're at the computer.  But the general concept is, like dissolves like.  So really, an ionic salt, either dissolves in water or doesn't.  Non-polar solvents aren't the answer to ionic salts that won't dissolve in water.  That just seems counter intuitive to me. 

*[EDIT]*

Oh look, a quick search for it's MSDS lets me know it's also soluble in methanol

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:BLW2X9FSOnAJ:www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Magnesium_bromide-9924540+magnesium+bromide+MSDS&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us&client=firefox-a

yeah I was right  ;D

Sponsored Links