March 28, 2024, 05:05:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrazine Synthesis  (Read 19840 times)

S1L3NT_C0Y0T3

Hydrazine Synthesis
« on: April 19, 2005, 07:29:23 PM »
Hello,

I'm writing a novel that deals with space exploration and development of the solar system. In order to increase the realism of the story, I need to know what's the simplest way to generate hydrazine from simple chemicals (methane, water, ammonia, etc.) preferably in some sort of catalytic method as opposed to chemical synthesis. Energy requirements are no real obstacle as the primary automated construction vessel will be using a nuclear pile as it's primary engine, allowing for the generation of large amounts of energy.

Thank you in advance,
   Coyote
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 07:31:39 PM by S1L3NT_C0Y0T3 »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Hydrazine Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 08:08:33 PM »
No idea about hydrazine. But - have you read The Case for Mars by Robert Zubrin? He describes general idea of O2 and CH4 production from the liquid hydrogen taken from Earth and CO2 from Mars atmosphere.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

S1L3NT_C0Y0T3

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 11:21:11 PM »
I actually have read that. The problem is that in my book I'm having them skip Mars in favor of building a station on Phobos and two stations at solar L4 and L5. Mars is really little more than a tourist attraction, while the asteroid belt is where all the profit is, and the Jovian system is the big science draw. Human travel involves outgassing solar sails in the inner solar system, and nuclear powered magneto-ion drive in the outer. Methane and oxy are outdated as even the small Terra system (Lagrange stations, lunar bases, Earth, and Earth-orbit) shuttles use nuclear piles instead of chemical rockets so that they're reusable.

Perhaps it's easier if I break it down into steps.

1) Water and ammonia are prevalent in asteroids, as is methane to a lesser extent. Water provides the hydrogen (with a bonus of a store of oxygen) and amonia provides the nitrogen. I know it's easy enough to strip hydrogen off water with just electricity, but what's the easiest way to get nitrogen off ammonia? Will the electricity trick work there too?

2) Once you have pure hydrogen (H2) and nitrogen (N2) gasses, can they be catalyzed together using an electrified platinum screen or some such?

charco

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:25:04 AM »
getting nitrogen from ammonia is really no problem - its the reverse of the Haber process favoured by low pressure and high temp the yield will rapidly approach 100%

making hydrazine hmmmm? - I would imagine that there are far easier ways than attempting it from the elements - indeed I doubt whether it's possible from the elements at all.

S1L3NT_C0Y0T3

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »
Is there a way to force two hydrogen molecules to fuse with a nitrogen molecule?

charco

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 02:21:55 PM »
The problem is that there are many similar compounds to hydrazine (N2 or NH3 etc.) which are thermodynamically far more stable (hydrazine itself is an endothermic compound)

The current synthesis of hydrazine is from ammonia and sodium hypochlorite which is a variation of a process discovered over 100 years ago. Even with modern day tech and tweeks the yield is only 60-70%

Hydrogen and nitrogen do actually react together to make hydrazine but only in pitifully low yield in conjunction with other products such as ammonia.

S1L3NT_C0Y0T3

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 11:22:18 PM »
Could you hydrogenate ammonia like they do vegetable oil?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 12:20:21 AM by S1L3NT_C0Y0T3 »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 03:02:29 AM »
Synthesis of hydrazine from ammonia can be called "oxidative dehydrogenation", not the hydrogenation
AWK

BaliG

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 10:26:52 PM »
if you want to make hydrazine you oxidise ammonia with sodium hypochlorite both easily available

BaliG

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 10:29:32 PM »
Regarding my previous post you basically need ammonia (cleaning detergent) and bleach.  I never done this so don't do it without protection.  I just did a bit of research.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 12:57:20 AM »
Hydrazine is extremely toxic and absorbs through the skin.  It has a decent vapor pressure, too, so you'll probably breathe some in.  Good news is that calcium ions (pretty much everywhere in your house, hard water, etc.) prohibit the reaction.

BaliG

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 09:26:41 PM »
So if somebody brave/stupid enough to make hydrazine it could possibly kill however if you add hard water to the reaction thus making a hydrazine based 'fuel' it won't be as dangerous.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 10:57:24 PM »
That's not really true.  It could still be formed and be toxic.  Also, you have lots of problems when you start adding bleach and ammonia together.  It would not be 'less dangerous' necessairly.

Sponsored Links