April 29, 2024, 10:23:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Biochemistry of Ni, Co, Fe and Mn  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Gazza

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Biochemistry of Ni, Co, Fe and Mn
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
During the early stages of evolution, the earth's atmosphere was made up of reducing gasses, such as dihydrogen, methane and carbon monoxide. Anaerobic organisms used enzyme catalysts based on Ni and Co to synthesise simple molecules from these gasses.
However, since the advent of dioxygen, aerobic organisms prefer to use enzymes based on metals like Fe, Cu and Mn. Why is this?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Biochemistry of Ni, Co, Fe and Mn
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »
During the early stages of evolution, the earth's atmosphere was made up of reducing gasses, such as dihydrogen, methane and carbon monoxide. Anaerobic organisms used enzyme catalysts based on Ni and Co to synthesise simple molecules from these gasses.
However, since the advent of dioxygen, aerobic organisms prefer to use enzymes based on metals like Fe, Cu and Mn. Why is this?

I was not aware that it was as cut and dried as this question seems to state.  Does you have a source for the second statement in the question?  FWIW, Ni and Co are still found in co-enzymes nowadays.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline deadally

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
I can stab at this in the case of Cu and Fe.  Copper often plays a role in forming structures of enzymes that interact with oxygen (Superoxide dismutase comes to mind).  Without Cu, these structures do not form properly to let in other metals that catalyze the oxygen stuff.

In the case of Fe, its many oxidation states help the heme substructure maintain a load of different funcitonalities and power levels.  I believe the Fe itself likes to bind oxygen, which makes it very useful in oxygen delivery!

The enzymes kind of form around it to help facilitate the needs of the organism

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:14:28 AM »
Interestingly, your question presupposes enzymes - not simple molecules by any means.  Rather, enzymes are made up of simple molecules (amino acids).  An interesting spin on the question asks how did these sometimes highly oxidized amino acids form in this reducing environment in order to be able to assemble into enzymes capable of making 'simple molecules?'
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links