April 26, 2024, 04:58:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please help?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline xxNeutronxx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Please help?
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:14:42 PM »
I need to find a substance that can be molded, must be able to handle high amounts of pressure, and up to 600 degrees F of heat.  Then, dissolve fairly quickly.    Does anyone know if anything like this exists?  I'm absolutely stuck!

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Please help?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:47:03 PM »
I'm just curious.  What are you doing?  That'd be quite a substance.  I'd suggest starting with cement and seeing what you can do to it, then figuring out how you can alter it to strengthen it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:46:55 AM »
Cement won't dissolve.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:42:56 AM »
I need to find a substance that can be molded, must be able to handle high amounts of pressure, and up to 600 degrees F of heat.  Then, dissolve fairly quickly.    Does anyone know if anything like this exists?  I'm absolutely stuck!

You need to give us the whole story.  Molded?  How, by hand, or by high pressure injector?  Then, it has to stand up to high pressure?  So it sets, and is no longer moldable?  What pressure do you mean for molding, then for "standing up to"?  Dissolve?  In what, water?  Or some other solvent?  If so, how big will it be?  Would you need gallons of strong acid or volatile solvent, and can you handle that much safely?  You've given us only one empirical data point -- 600 F, don't use a mercury thermometer, it will be boiling away.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »
Cement won't dissolve.

Ah ok.  Just assumed you could dissolve it in acid.  Dissolve being used loosely.

Sponsored Links