March 28, 2024, 07:23:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: anyone any layering tips?  (Read 3111 times)

Offline nielsgeode

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
anyone any layering tips?
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:04:57 AM »
What I sometimes do is make a solution of my compound in a solvent where it is well soluble in (eg THF, toluene) and layer some pentane on top of it. The pentane will slowly diffuse into the other solvent layer where it will produce crystals :)

Problem: I always have some mixing when carefully putting the pentane on top. Anyone any suggestions for this to have less mixing of the layers when starting the crystallisation?

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: anyone any layering tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:21:28 AM »
What about a large pipette/burrette or something that could deliver the pentane straight to the surface of the THF so it doesn't have to fall far under gravity.  Slowly increase the amount over the surface as it runs out (Rather than just pouring from a beaker). ? You could have the tip of the pippette just above the surface of the THF and let it run out slowly - lifting the pippette as the level goes up.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:22:12 AM »
There are other tips on layering miscible fluids of differing densities.  You might try using using a spoon (or flat spatula) to avoid splashing, for instance:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=25814.msg97650#msg97650

It helps if you can keep cats away, as well. ;D
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline hammoco

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:17:23 AM »
Use a vessle with straight sides (i.e. not a round bottomed flask). Tilt vessle diagonally then run pentane over THF layer by pipetting down side of vessle, then slowly tilt back up-right!

Sponsored Links