April 28, 2024, 09:23:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermodynamics of Protein Folding  (Read 8174 times)

Offline erv10s

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Thermodynamics of Protein Folding
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:51:27 AM »
I am reviewing for a test and wanted to clarify some aspects of the protein folding process.

I understand the entropic factors involved in protein folding...that the primary force driving protein folding is maximizing the entropy of the solvent.

I also understanding that as a peptide chain folds, the entropy of the chain decreases while the entropy of the solvent increases.

However, I seem to have difficulty in understanding the enthalpic factors involved in protein folding. Am I correct in thinking that peptide chain folding leads to a decrease in enthalpy because bonds are being formed in an exothermic process? Also, what is considered enthalpically unfavorable?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Thermodynamics of Protein Folding
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:54:13 AM »
Exactly correct, the bonds formed are an exothermic process and thus enthalpicly (did I just make up a word? ;)) favored.  Enthalpically (maybe that's how we should spell it ;)) unfavorable processes would include things like bond breaking.  Maybe bonds break to form more molecules of gas, which while enthapically (yea, I like this one) are more entropically (and I'm pretty sure this one's right) favored.

Sponsored Links