March 28, 2024, 12:35:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Isolation of theobromine from chocolate  (Read 13306 times)

Zami87

Isolation of theobromine from chocolate
« on: April 22, 2005, 01:04:04 PM »
Hi there!I read a story about a dog who died from eating too much chocolate. I know that chocolate is toxic but I thought maybe I could somehow isolate theobromine from different kinds of chocolate and deduce which kind is the most toxic.
But there is a problem:nobody knows how to isolate theobromine from chocolate(even some University professors!).Please help(books, sites ,PROTOCOLS).Thanks!
ps I already tried PubMed but only abstracts available.Jana

ja07

Re:Isolation of theobromine from chocolate
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 09:23:07 PM »
Hi Zami87

Theobromine is an alkoloid to my knowledge. There are many alkoloid extraction procedures for extracting alkoloids from organic (plant) matter. I wonder how applicable this would be to your chocolate??  ???

I did a very, very breif google search:
:Edited:

Im sure if you looked up some text books they would have this information.

Hope that helps  :)

----

Please don't post links to drug websites.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:24:11 PM by movies »

Zami87

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 02:35:47 PM »
Hi Zami87

Theobromine is an alkoloid to my knowledge. There are many alkoloid extraction procedures for extracting alkoloids from organic (plant) matter. I wonder how applicable this would be to your chocolate??  ???

I did a very, very breif google search:
:Edited:

Hope that helps  :)

Thanks.It's good for beginning.Our "local textbooks" are not so detailed.Can you get me titles of  some good books?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:24:44 PM by movies »

ja07

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 07:06:32 AM »

Okay, I looked up my basic 1st year/2nd year uni text books.... nothing on alkaloid extraction procedures  :(

I searched alkaloids on my Uni's catalogue and came up with "Alkaloid chemistry" by Manfred Hesse and "Alkaloids : biochemistry, ecology, and medicinal applications" by Margaret F. Roberts and Michael Wink

Might be irrelavent :-\ or may contain some useful information  :o

Good luck

Zami87

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 08:23:55 AM »

I searched alkaloids on my Uni's catalogue and came up with "Alkaloid chemistry" by Manfred Hesse and "Alkaloids : biochemistry, ecology, and medicinal applications" by Margaret F. Roberts and Michael Wink

Good luck
OK Thanks I'll try to find those books. :D

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 06:09:26 AM »
Extraction process: Schwyzer, Die Fabrikation Pharmazeutischer und Chemisch-Technischer Produkte (Berlin, 1931).

Hope you can read German.

Theobromine is great stuff.  Since you know little about it, first do a google search.  Then do a google search for caffiene.  You can also look these up on www.chemfinder.com  Make sure that you note the similarities--they occur together naturally in at least some abundance and therefore you will have a difficult time separating the two.  Aside from that, you should look in the Merck Index, available at your local library.  There is also a book called 'The Chemistry of Chocolate' put out not too long ago.

Theobromine
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione.  Also 3,7-dimethylxanthine.
C7H8N4O2
MW 180.17
The principal alkaloid of the cacao bean wihich contains 1.5-3% of the vase.  Also present in cola nuts and in tea.  Usually extracted from the hull of cacao beans which contain 0.7-1.2%.

Synthesis is from 1898.

mp 357 deg C, subl. 290-295 deg C.

underdosed

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 04:59:41 PM »
Ok, there's no standard way to do this. I'd go with extracting some ground chocolate into ether and then running a chromotography column (on a small scale) combine the like fractions and use NMR to see what you've got in what fraction. Given the multitude of compounds in chocolate i think a column is the only real way.

Zami87

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 09:41:40 AM »
Thanks a lot people!  I have got something valuable!   :)
GREAT SITE hmx9123! 8)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 09:42:25 AM by Zami87 »

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 04:25:04 PM »
Theobromine is a stimulant? I never knew that. I thought it just existed with caffeine.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links