April 19, 2024, 01:41:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can someone tell me about rust acid?  (Read 10599 times)

Offline LeFowl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can someone tell me about rust acid?
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:47:21 PM »
I tried to make some rust for an experiment but i did something wrong and made rust acid instead....
Can anyone tell me all they know about it and how to dispose of it(safely)?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Can someone tell me about rust acid?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:53:29 PM »
Rust acid sounds like a term you made up yourself.  Likewise, in a previous post now deleted you said it was the "opposite of rust", which is likewise meaningless.  Why not tell us, stepwise, what you did, and what you meant to do, so we can offer some help.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline LeFowl

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:06:44 PM »
well, I attached a nail to the neg wire of a DC convertor and put the pos wire, neg wire+nail in a saline solution and left it for the next day.my teacher told me i has rust acid instead of rust... :-\

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:56:03 PM »
And the half reactions at each connections are ... what?  This is how we teach here on these forums, we give hints, to try and help you come up with the answer yourself, that way you learn.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 07:47:38 AM »
And the half reactions at each connections are ... what?  This is how we teach here on these forums, we give hints, to try and help you come up with the answer yourself, that way you learn.

Unfortunately, that little gem of knowledge seems to be the hardest one to teach
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline LeFowl

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 12:02:49 AM »
lol? what? half of a reaction? plz explain i need help

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 09:11:27 AM »
Generally, when performing an electrolysis, the splitting of water with electricity (which is what you've done,) a chemist (that's you,) can write two half-reactions, one happening at each electrode, to describe the changes of the entire system.  Does your textbook have some insights along those lines that you can use to explain your result?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »
Arkcon, this doesn't sound like a homework assignment, nor a lab experiment.  It sounds more "home chemisty", as in I don't know if the OP is actually in a chemistry class.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Arkcon, this doesn't sound like a homework assignment, nor a lab experiment.  It sounds more "home chemisty", as in I don't know if the OP is actually in a chemistry class.

A valid point, however, I chose to raise the issue more subtly ...

.my teacher told me i has rust acid instead of rust... :-\

OP mentions a teacher, and is very adamant about the existence of "rust acid", unfortunately, I may have been the only one to read the other post before it was deleted, the "rust acid is the opposite of rust."  Now, maybe someone is trying to learn some stuff on their own, and getting some nomenclature wrong.  Or maybe this is some pseudoscience info from a web page, quoting a man with a Ph.D. in the school of "real life" who has discovered a dipolarizing ring materiel that extends life -- in which any case, I'd like to know where OP is getting his info, how he's making his observations, etc.

We've had people insist that their teacher gave them some sodium metal to react with water in their kitchen sink to make peroxide gas, using special electromagnetic waves.  We currently have someone who has to differentiate salt, sugar, and mothballs, but can't find anything to differentiate them in their textbook, because these unknowns were chosen by the teacher for their difficulty.  And those are lies.  I don't like being lied to.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
Ah, I missed the teacher sentence.

As I'm sure you probably have done also, trying to google "rust acid" doesn't come up with alot.  The only thing I could come up via google was somehow the production of some sort of iron hydroxide.  I don't know enough about the subject to determine if that's feasible or not, but apparently this question is not new to the web.

EDIT:

In fact, even on here:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=7427.msg33502
http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.chem/2006-08/msg00536.html

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »
Well, gee, I'm wrong -- rust acid does exist, in the minds of random web posters, if not in my chemistry textbooks.  I suppose I should be embarrassed, for having been so stubborn.  But I'm not, really, this is just web jargon for some strange setup, or a joke -- if you oxidize iron one way, you'll get rust, reverse the polarity and you'll get anti rust/rust acid.  Sure.

Like the old Benny Hill skit, if you don't have Gorgonzola cheese, just buy some Grogon cheese, and crumble some Zola cheese into it.  Just don't reverse them, or you'll get Zolagorgon chesse, which of course doesn't exist, Benny Hill said so, and he was an entertainment professional, and I'm a nobody.  So there.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
Well, gee, I'm wrong -- rust acid does exist, in the minds of random web posters, if not in my chemistry textbooks.  I suppose I should be embarrassed, for having been so stubborn.  But I'm not, really, this is just web jargon for some strange setup, or a joke -- if you oxidize iron one way, you'll get rust, reverse the polarity and you'll get anti rust/rust acid.  Sure.

Like the old Benny Hill skit, if you don't have Gorgonzola cheese, just buy some Grogon cheese, and crumble some Zola cheese into it.  Just don't reverse them, or you'll get Zolagorgon chesse, which of course doesn't exist, Benny Hill said so, and he was an entertainment professional, and I'm a nobody.  So there.
Yea, I have to say I've never heard of it either, and I certainly wasn't stating that it was true, just that it seems people seem to think it exists.  Although, I do like the Benny Hill skit!

Offline LeFowl

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »

A valid point, however, I chose to raise the issue more subtly ...

.my teacher told me i has rust acid instead of rust... :-\

OP mentions a teacher, and is very adamant about the existence of "rust acid", unfortunately, I may have been the only one to read the other post before it was deleted, the "rust acid is the opposite of rust."  Now, maybe someone is trying to learn some stuff on their own, and getting some nomenclature wrong.  Or maybe this is some pseudoscience info from a web page, quoting a man with a Ph.D. in the school of "real life" who has discovered a dipolarizing ring materiel that extends life -- in which any case, I'd like to know where OP is getting his info, how he's making his observations, etc.

We've had people insist that their teacher gave them some sodium metal to react with water in their kitchen sink to make peroxide gas, using special electromagnetic waves.  We currently have someone who has to differentiate salt, sugar, and mothballs, but can't find anything to differentiate them in their textbook, because these unknowns were chosen by the teacher for their difficulty.  And those are lies.  I don't like being lied to.
I still don't fully understand what u mean by half of a reaction. I just wanted some rust for a geography project to show the components of continental crust, so i asked my chem teacher how to get rust fast. She told me what to do and i left the experiment in the lab for the next day. She told me i had rust acid instead of rust. I asked her some questions about it and she mentioned electrolysis and that its the opposite of rust. she didn't go indepth about it cuz i was already confused. But i understand a bit more now cuz we just did balancing and writing chemical equations today :).Oh btw whats a Ph.D? I don't live in America u kno.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
She told me i had rust acid instead of rust.

I don't live in America u kno.

But you do speak in English at school and "rust acid" where exact words used by your teacher?

Half-reaction is a thing used in redox processes. Every redox reaction means that something gets oxidized and something else gets reduced at the same time. Each process - oxidation and reduction - can be described by its own reaction equation. These reaction equations are called half-reactions. They contain electrons as one of the reactants or products, and as such can't be treated as properly balanced reaction equation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline LeFowl

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 09:26:44 PM »
yes rust acid were the words she used... and thank you for the explaination.

Sponsored Links