April 28, 2024, 05:30:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Benzyl cleavage mechanism  (Read 19644 times)

Offline phil81

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Benzyl cleavage mechanism
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
I was wondering what the mechanism of hydrogenolytic debenzylation is. The usual conditions are: H2, Pd/C, solvent (e.g., EtOH) and sometimes addition of AcOH. This cleaves benzyl ethers and amines. I cannot think of anything that makes sense.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Benzyl cleavage mechanism
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:07:31 PM »
I don't know the answer, but I'd say looking into the reactivity of the ether/amine and the Pd/C catalyst would be a solid starting point.  The H2 reactivity with Pd/C is easily found.  AFAIK, the actual arene is essentially inert in those conditions.  Maybe following addition of the H2 to the Pd/C (and assuming the ether/amine attach to the Pd/C by donating one of it's (the ether/amine's) lone pairs to the catalyst in a mechanism similar to the H2), the complexed hydrogen could insert into the complexed ether/amine forming a good leaving group.  The benzylcation could then somehow get a hydrogen.  Maybe with H2 serving as a nucleophile.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
It's surprisingly hard to find anything on the internet or in my protective groups book... but here's my take (and I don't have anything to back this up):

Pd/H2 is a reducing system.  It pumps an electron into the aryl ring to give a radical anion.  Anion collapses to give an exocyclic double-bond and generates O- and a benzyl radical.  Benzyl radical and hydroxide pick up protons from solvent.

Although my protective group book has separate sections for reductive cleavage (hydrogenolysis, H2/Pd) and reductive cleavage (single electron, Li/NH3), so maybe the two are different mechanisms?

something like this, maybe...

edit: mechanism probably wrong... For the mechanism to be correct, it should be lithium donating an electron (as in the Li/NH3 debenzylation)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:14:02 PM by azmanam »
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
Addendum...

I think the mechanism I proposed is for single electron cleavage, NOT H2/Pd cleavage.

Perhaps it's an insertion into the ether bond followed by reductive elimination?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline phil81

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 03:16:23 AM »
Thank you both.

I think azmanam's mechanism does kind of make sense. In this way, H2 would actually be required to regenerate Pd(0), which would otherwise be consumed...
Some additional information from Wuts/Greene. The relative speed for the hydrogenation of benzyl ethers in varying solvents: THF > AcOH > octanol > hexanol > propanol > ethanol > hexane > methanol > toluene. No explanation is given.

Sponsored Links