March 28, 2024, 01:28:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about Lye/Sodium Hydroxide ???  (Read 7268 times)

Offline js223

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about Lye/Sodium Hydroxide ???
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:24:42 PM »
Hi,

Question concerning lye.  I was using a household bleach based cleaner and according to the msds the cleaner contains .5% - 2% sodium hydroxide and has a ph of 12.4 - 12.8.

Now after using this solution I washed my hands using plain soap and water, and only for a few seconds.  After washing my hands still had a bleach smell to them, does that mean that the lye was still on my skin?  Would a small amount of soap and water neutralize the lye on my skin?

Thanks, from a guy that doesn't have a whole lot of chemistry knowledge.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Question about Lye/Sodium Hydroxide ???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
After using any strong chemicals like clorox or anything like that I always scrub my hands pretty good with just soap and water.  Even then, they still usually smell a little of bleach, but it goes away eventually.  You don't need to be worried though.  But I don't think it will hurt if you wash them a little bit better, you don't really want to be eating with that still on your hands.

Offline js223

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:02:06 PM »
I guess what I am trying to ask is if a simple hand wash (10-15 seconds) will remove the lye from your hands.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
It probably will, or at least most of it.  I guess it depends on if you dipped your hands in it or just got a little sprinkle on them, lol.

Like I said, go scrub your hands nice and good (scrub with soap for like 30 seconds), and then rinse them, and you don't even need to worry if you washed your hands good enough.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
Bleach smell is that of chlorine.

Lye won't be neutralized with soap - soap is usually basic on its own.

You would need something acidic for lye neutralization, but in this case it doesn't make sense to look for acid. Hydroxide is relatively easy to wash, just rinsing hands should be enough, although I will do it for a little bit longer, and under running water. However, chlorine smell is much more difficult to get rid off - but it you have rinsed your hands thoroughly there is not much more you can do about it. Don't worry, the smell should disappear in an hour or two.

That's as long as you have used just a household bleach, not some concetrated industrial stuff, and you are not allergic to chlorine.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline js223

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »
hypothetically, let's say that I had used the solution, gotten it on my hands and never rinsed it.  then an hour later I came in contact with an object made out of aluminum.  would it corrode?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »
For sure it will "corrode" your skin thus after some time it will be no longer active. But how long it will take is hard to say, there are too many variable and unknown factors here for any meaningfull answer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links