April 20, 2024, 05:32:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A removing solids from solution question.  (Read 2851 times)

Offline highhelp

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A removing solids from solution question.
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:56:30 PM »
We did a reaction in which we reacted copper sulfate with excess aluminum (all in water). Our result was a precipitate, copper metal, and aluminum sulfate which is soluble and thus aqueous within solution. So our end product is a solution with copper metal and the excess chunks of aluminum. I need another experiment or just a method at least, through which i can extract the excess aluminum. I know filtering would be required but i am unaware of how i am to approach separating solid copper and aluminum. Help or suggestions will be appreciated.

By "extract" i mean i that the solid aluminum floating in there must be taken out of solution as aluminum so it can be subsequently studied, weighed, and whatnot.

however the problem is that once i have filtered copper and aluminum metal from the solution, possibly through filtration, i have no idea how to separate the two.

Even if one suggests, to not filter and attempt something in solution, i'm clueless.

Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: A removing solids from solution question.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 05:50:52 AM »
The only reasonable ways I can think off are chemical - Al will be easily dissolved in strong hydroxide.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: A removing solids from solution question.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »
I would just filter the solution, then recrystallize the aluminum sulfate, and do the math and figure out how much aluminum is left!

Or do what borek said, turn it into aluminum potassium sulfate.

Sponsored Links