April 27, 2024, 10:20:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Accident-help: swallowed my eye polish remover  (Read 10430 times)

light

Accident-help: swallowed my eye polish remover
« on: April 23, 2005, 05:10:06 PM »
Hello Everybody,

My little sister had in a mistake swallowed my eye polish remover. I am so anxiety that some of the components of it are poison and dangerous. This had happen for some days ago and since it is an eye remover then i thought it can't be poison since i can use it for my eyes. After that incident she seems to be sick and now she has got some wound in her mounth. I will ask the doctor on monday about the poisonous of it, but please do help me to check if any of them are dangerous. I will also google to check them, but if anyone know about these then please don't hesitate answering.

Thanks for the help.

Here are the components.

-Aqua.
-Cyclomethicone.
-Isohexadecane.
-Butylene Glycol.
-Sodium Chloride.
-Rosa Centifolia.
-propylene glycol.
-Citric acid.
-Polyaminopropyl Biguanide.
-Tetrasodium EDTA.
-Iodopropylnyl Butylcarbamate.
-CI 42090.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 06:33:26 PM by Mitch »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Accident-*delete me*
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 05:49:52 PM »
Nothing on that list should be "that" poisonous. I think your sidter's illness is unrelated.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Garneck

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 05:56:59 PM »
Nothing on that list should be "that" poisonous. I think your sidter's illness is unrelated.

I don't know Mitch, that "aqua" part sounds scary ;)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 06:26:45 PM »
I am sorry to read of this, it must be quite worrying.

How old is your sister? the rough danger depends much upon age, the younger the person, the faster they need medical treatment.

Make sure to bring the container of eye remover to the hospital with you, and also to tell them how much has been swallowed.

I will describe the general properties of the chemicals you listed for you.

Aqua, is just the name used in many products for water.

Cyclomethicone is a mixture of various cyclo-dimethylpolysiloxane sillicone oil typ compounds, and appears to show fairly low acute toxicity, is nonirritating to exposed skin, and slightly irritating to the eye on continued exposure, apparently causing only mild liver damage and slight weight loss in lab animals, and is excreted in the urine.

Hexadecane isn't something you would purposefully ingest, although, probably not highly toxic, lower weight hydrocarbons are more volatile and can cause lung damage, the higher the weight, the less likely to cause such damage, hexadecane or its isomers are reasonably high weight hydrocarbons.

Butylene glycol, is chemically, 1,3-butanediol, it is used in foods as a humectant, to keep foods moist, so it fairly unlikely to be dangerous. (1,4-butanediol has CNS depressant effects, similar to alcohol and GHB in action, but I don't believe the 1,3-diol has these)

Sodium Chloride is common table salt, although in very young children, they cannot handle too much salt, older children will be fine after ingesting a little more salt than they should usually.

Rosa Centifolia, is an extract of that species of rose, used for scenting products, roses are nontoxic.

Propylene glycol is also used in foods, similar in properties to butylene glycol.

Citric acid, and salts of citric acid, known as citrates, are very widely present in foods, especially in citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges and limes, it is the weak organic acid which gives them their sourness, it is harmless.

Polyaminopropyl biguanide could POSSIBLY act as a hypoglycaemic agent, lowering blood sugar, from what I have read on diabetic oral therapy using biguanides, keep on the lookout for low blood sugar just in case, in an emergency, if your sister passes out from hypoglycaemia, give sugary sweets or drinks to boost blood sugar fast, I don't mean to alarm you or anything, just for you to be on the lookout.

I have also read a few accounts of biguanide compounds causing lactic acidosis.

Polyaminopropyl biguanide is used in the sort of cosmetic preperations you mentioned, as a preservative, in VERY low concentrations, one reference says a contact lense cleaner contains 0.00005% polyaminopropyl biguanide, so there really isn't going to be very much of it in any preperation.

the only danger I could imagine really, from this one, is kiling off of the beneficial gut flora, in a similar way as sometimes happens with antibiotics when their use is needed. You might try giving yakult, live yoghurt, or similar beneficial bacteria preperations, I reccomend actimel myself, my fiancee has it, and it tastes pretty good.

EDTA is not harmful, it is a chelating agent, its actually used in the treatment of some heavy metal poisonings to bind the harmful metal ions.

Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate can be a contact allergen in some cases, it is used as a preservative, broad spectrum biocide, again, reccomend live yoghurt to replenish gut flora.

CI 42090 is a blue dye, I believe, known as Erioglaucine, banned now, due to its being carcinogenic, fairly unpleasant, but I wouldn't think a single exposure such as this will lead to carcinogenic effects.

I wish you the best for your sister, one thing you can try, is milk thistle extract, it is available in capsules from health-food shops, and it is a very potent protector of the liver and will help ward off any damage to the liver caused by ingestion of the eye remover product.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 04:59:13 AM »
Interestingly, I think that Limpet has had the most experience in dealing with ingested chemicals of most anyone on the forums. :)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 04:50:29 PM »
Interestingly, I think that Limpet has had the most experience in dealing with ingested chemicals of most anyone on the forums. :)

:laughing:  It's funny cuz it's true.   ;)  (No offense intended limpet).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 08:56:09 PM »
None taken, I admit, I spend quite a lot of time in the research of entheogens :)
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline madscientist

• Mole Snacks: +14/-7
  • University of New England Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 04:07:19 AM »
What are entheogens?? :-X
The only stupid question is a question not asked.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 11:42:19 AM »
"Entheogen" is a term coined for chemicals, animals, plants, that used correctly, allow man to break down the barries in his own mind, allowing for both spiritual growth and mental development, the term avoids some of immediate knee-jerk negative reactions to the government-sown propaganda and stigma attatched to the term "psychadelic" or worse, hat meaningless, catch-all term "drug" ::)

The Native American Church and their legally protected use of the peyote cactus is one exception to the general rule, but as a whole, anybody who seeks to alter their conscioussness in ANY way, other than the mind-numbing approved outlets of alcohol and tobacco, are immediately persecuted, and labelled with the term "drug abuser" regardless of how responsible an individual might have been with their knowledge of the substances used, and their individual use of those substances.

The american government, for instance, labels the brazillian Santo-Daime movement, a religious group with a good few members in america, who use the tribal Ayahuasca brew, a powerful combination of a plant containing n,n-dimethyltryptamine and another plant containing a beta-carboline alkaloid which inhibits the attack on orally ingested DMT by monoamine oxidase enzymes, as drug abusers, even though their use of Aya is done ceremonially in large groups, presided over by an experienced shaman.

The goverments of the world now, made even worse by pressure from the american "government" (if one could call it such), persecutes even responsible users of natural and synthetic sacraments merely because they can, and because of the vast amounts of corruption caused by the huge sums of money involved both to police forces, rich jail owners, and the government agencies themselves.

Here is a little photo of one of my past endeavours ;D
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 08:28:11 PM »
Awwww, it's a baby mushroom.  How cute.  I didn't know you were into horticulture. (Joke intended).

And, you have to admit, we do have something that we could call a government.  I mean, really, a police state is still a government.  A very strong government as a matter of fact.  So is fascism.  Neither one are governments I want, though.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 11:10:07 PM »
Actually I am into horticulture as well as chemistry, I got quite a little garden in my bedroom actually, plants growing on whole of a big table near my window, and a chair with a load of plants sprawling over it :)

I will post a thread with pics in the general social type section here, I am baked, and can't remember what its title is atm ;D
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

GCT

Re:Accident-help: swallowed my eye polish remover
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 08:33:59 PM »
You should get her to the emergency center at a hospital as soon as you can, none of us can tell you with absolute certainty on the effects of some of these chemicals.  

Sponsored Links