March 29, 2024, 10:04:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: help with inks and mixing things  (Read 4299 times)

Offline 7453K

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
help with inks and mixing things
« on: November 05, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »
okay, so im making this ink, its naphtha based, but for it to stain, i need to add stainers such as methylene blue or gentian violet, but those two are in alcohol or water solutions, so when i mix it in it just separates. what can i do so that it doesn't separate? if i boil them together will they mix better?

also, if i wanted to make an ink that has a very low surface tension, so that it doesn't bead up, whats the best solvent to use? i know i want weak attraction forces, but im not sure whats the best to use. ive also heard adding polyamid resins makes ink adhere to the surface better, but how does it do this?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: help with inks and mixing things
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 03:01:08 AM »
if i boil them together will they mix better?

No, that's the only thing that is obvious.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:05:05 AM »

also, if i wanted to make an ink that has a very low surface tension, so that it doesn't bead up, whats the best solvent to use?

This is more to do with lowering the surface tension of the ink.  You can do this by adding a small percentage of a suitable surfactant or another solvent with such properties.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline 7453K

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »
so boiling wont help it mix? because i know it helps when mixing like bases, because the boiling is basically a more thorough mixing if you do it right.

and for the surface tension, you say if i add a small amount of something like methanol to water it wont bead up? because ive had many experiences with inks where even just the small amount of water from the stainer i add makes it bead up.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:17:44 AM »
Methanol might work??  I don't know - you'll have to try a couple out.  Butyl Glycol seems to lower ST quite well in water formulations I have. Maybe some more surfactant. You might look for a surfactant designed to lower ST.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links