April 19, 2024, 11:39:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: remove aluminium oxide layer  (Read 7163 times)

chemistrie

remove aluminium oxide layer
« on: April 25, 2005, 05:03:51 AM »
What is the chemical equation of aluminium oxide reacts with mercury(II)chloride?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:remove aluminium oxide layer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 06:10:25 AM »
IIRC mercury doesn't remove oxide layer. When I was a student (eons ago) there were aluminum coins used in Poland. Mercury put on the coin did not generated any effect. You have to squeeze some mercury between two coins and rub them (removing oxide layer mechanically) to start the reaction.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:32:53 PM »
Mercury does remove the oxide layer off of aluminum metal.  Take a look at one of the more recent issues of Popular Science magazine.  They have a good demonstration there of what happens when elemental mercury contacts aluminum metal.  It's pretty dramatic.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 06:15:20 PM »
Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that coins were made from some alloy that have slightly different properties.

I can only witness what I have seen - our coins didn't show signs of any reaction before rubbing, but after rubbing the reaction was quite interesting and visible - but didn't last long, as the mercury was taken away by the groving layer of aluminum oxide so we have never seen more than a few milimiters thick grey mass being mixture of oxide and mercury.

Perhaps additional problem was grease on the surface? We have never tried degreased coins, they were just taken from our (rather shallow :) ) pockets.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 07:41:59 AM »
i thought it was supposed to be mecuric (II) chloride? does mecury work fine too?
one learns best by teaching

Sponsored Links