April 26, 2024, 08:40:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Boiling points of molecules  (Read 4152 times)

Offline AFT

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Boiling points of molecules
« on: November 16, 2008, 01:57:52 AM »
Hi, I'm slightly confused about the relationship between molecular structure and boiling points.

I know that BP's are determined by the intermolecular forces (dipole-dipole, London dispersion & hydrogen bonds) of a given molecule.  As well, BP's vary with bond types (ie. double bonds = greater BP vs. single bonds).

However, I can't seem to understand why CH3CH2CH2NH2 has a higher boiling point than CH3CH2CH2OH.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Boiling points of molecules
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:32:55 AM »
Um....it doesn't?

Propylamine:  48°C
1-Propanol:  97.1°C

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:44:06 AM »
Hi, I'm slightly confused about the relationship between molecular structure and boiling points.

I know that BP's are determined by the intermolecular forces (dipole-dipole, London dispersion & hydrogen bonds) of a given molecule.  As well, BP's vary with bond types (ie. double bonds = greater BP vs. single bonds).

However, I can't seem to understand why CH3CH2CH2NH2 has a higher boiling point than CH3CH2CH2OH.

Basing on my scope and macman104's data, I think that propan-1-ol should have a higher boiling point than propylamine since the former has more effective hydrogen bond, the greater hydrogen bond extend, the more boiling point particle has
Genius is a long patience

Offline AFT

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:33:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  I'd just like to clarify:

Propylamine has a lower boiling point because the EN difference of N-H is less than that of the O-H present in 1-propanol.  Is this correct?

Thanks!

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:45:38 PM »
Yes.  The lower EN difference leads to weaker dipole-dipole interactions (specifically, hydrogen bonding interactions in this case).

Sponsored Links