April 19, 2024, 08:14:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Impossible organic synthesis problem of 1-chloro-2-methyl butan-2-ol  (Read 24759 times)

Offline BlowUpEverything

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Impossible organic synthesis problem of 1-chloro-2-methyl butan-2-ol
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 02:47:17 PM »
that's what this last step does.  Cl2 and H2O make ClOH in solution.
Oh, wonderful, I didn't realize that.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 09:16:46 PM »
methyloxirane --(H+, EtMgBr)--> 2-methyl-1-butanol

hmm... That doesn't look right, now does it...

I reworked it.  It's attached, but very clunky...

I think the Grignard into the carbonyl is probably the way to go.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 09:46:43 PM »
*chalks one up for himself* ;)
*brush dirt off shoulder*

Offline refid

• Mole Snacks: +4/-1
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
azmanam, your molecule has a chlorine, wouldn't the Grignard step (Mg(s) + R-Cl) also would react?

And how can you ensure that the Grignard reactions doesn't happen twice (i.e. aldehyde into tert. alcohol)?

Anyways, the Non-Grignard way looks correct. :)

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:17 PM »
azmanam, your molecule has a chlorine, wouldn't the Grignard step (Mg(s) + R-Cl) also would react?
You aren't doing Mg(s) + R-Cl, you're doing Mg(s) + R1-Br, and adding that to R(C=O)-Cl.
And how can you ensure that the Grignard reactions doesn't happen twice (i.e. aldehyde into tert. alcohol)?
You are reacting an aldehyde to make a ketone.  Ketones are less reactive than aldehydes by a degree large enough that you can be pretty sure the aldehyde will always react first.  Also, you can help control it by dripping the grignard into a large pot of aldehyde, thus ensuring that the aldehyde's are in excess and that there isn't lots of grignard sitting around waiting to react.

Offline refid

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 12:16:45 AM »
macman104, I'm just wondering how would I prevent the remainder of the Mg(s) coming in contact R-Cl forming R-MgCl.

And instead of Grignard, is it possible that we use Organozinc (Reformatsky) to react with the aldehyde once?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 12:59:52 AM »
I was actually wondering about that.  But also, like I said, you would drip the grignard into the aldehyde, and minimize such things.  The reformatsky is a alpha-haloester reaction, I think it'd be more work than it's worth.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 07:02:17 AM »

You are reacting an aldehyde to make a ketone.  Ketones are less reactive than aldehydes

It's actually simpler than that.  The Grignard attacks the carbonyl carbon, and the electrons in the C=O double bond kick up onto oxygen to create an O-.  For the Grignard to react again, the electrons on O- need to collapse back down and kick out a good leaving group.  The choices are R-, R-, or H-.  None of these are good leaving groups. The reaction stops at the secondary alcohol.  You need a separate re-oxidation to the ketone before you can make the tertiary alcohol you desire.

This is why adding Grignard to aldehydes is different than adding Grignard to esters.  When the O- attempts to collapse back down, it still needs to kick out a good leaving group, and now its choices are R-, R-, and OR-.  OR- is now an ok leaving group.  Now we've generated a ketone in situ and we will get double addition to form the tertiary alcohol.

how would I prevent the remainder of the Mg(s) coming in contact R-Cl forming R-MgCl.

Well,  simple Grignards can be bought without excess Mg(s).  If you do make the Grignard, they are made in a separate flask at elevated temperatures (often with I2 as a catalyst).  The insertion of Mg(s) into R-X requires a bit of heat and needs a catalyst to go.  It doesn't just happen spontaneously.  This allows you to control the amount of Mg and R-X. 

Additionally, the actual Grignard reaction (where the RMgX is added to the electrophile) is usually done at low temperatures (below 0 oC).  This means that even if there is unreacted Mg(s), it will not insert into any other R-X bonds.

------

Also, I thought about it a bit more this morning, and managed to shave a few steps off my route.  It's now 7 steps instead of 10...  No one's going to comment on the alcohol -> bromide transformation where I used the often-undesired carbocation rearrangement to my benefit?  I thought that was a pretty awesome step.  Let this be a lesson that there is often more than one way to make a molecule.

Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline refid

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »
azmanam, thank you for your informative post. You've answered my questions with detail and I learned something new.

+1

Offline Berge472

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »
im just starting organic this year. i havent taken the calss yet but i have gone throuhg the text book to see how well i could do on my own and i wanted to try something more challenging than what was in the book. i could be way wrong but i would appreciate any feed back.

basicly my solution was alkylation of an acetylide anion, followed by addition of HBr. then that product would be added to another acetylide anion. then halohydration to produce the alcohol. and finally a catalytic reduction of the alkyne.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 01:39:45 AM »
Considering you haven't taken the class yet, not bad (but not correct either). No SN2 on sp2 carbons and questionable addition of Cl2/H2O. Again, I understand your thinking though.

With the other posts, here is another. It uses different reactions. Organic synthesis problems are always difficult to guess what reactions a student knows.

Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Berge472

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 06:55:03 PM »
thanks for the feedback. i didnt even consider the SN2 problem. and is the addition of Cl2 and H20 only questionalbe because it would attack the weaker triple bond, or is there something else im missing?

and again thanks for the help

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 09:42:41 PM »
The reaction of an ene-yne is difficult to predict (without looking some precedent). If the same reaction were performed on a diene, then 1,2 and 1,4 addition products are frequently found with 1,2 addition the kinetic products and 1,4 the thermodynamic products. However, I am uncertain how that reaction changes in the presence of water or an acetylene group. I would expect the electrons of a double or triple bond to participate in the reaction whether they alter the product distribution or not.

All in all, your scheme isn't bad considering you haven't taken the class yet. There are other ways to synthesize this compound even along the lines you have chosen.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline orgo wiz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
MwAhA i know the answer you fools.
this problem was so f&#^$*@ easy, stop acting like you know your s#*$, your answers are all wrong.
I have created this molecule out of naught but gringards reagents and carbonyl groups.
give me something thats actually a challenge mortal.

if you want the answer, youll have to beat me in a sythesis battle...try it organic bitches

Offline orgo wiz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 12:09:45 AM »
all your answers are seriously wrong. your reagents have more than 2 carbons. that PPh3 have 3 phenyl rings, thats 36 carbons. duh lolz. and the gilman reagents has the same problem fools.

try again

Sponsored Links