April 20, 2024, 01:10:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sealing Gasses in Ampoules  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Oromis

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sealing Gasses in Ampoules
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:46:26 AM »
I'm starting my own element collection and my plan was to seal each element in an ampoule under Argon to protect them from the air and hopefully from leaking. My question is how would one seal gasses in an ampoule by hand without a machine? Especially Hydrogen.

My initial idea is to flush the tube out with excess Hydrogen to try and flush out as much atmospheric gas as possible. Then continuing to push hydrogen into the tube during the sealing process (heating around the sides of the tube well away from the end and twisting it shut. Would this work? Any precautions I should be weary of? Any tips?

I live in Australia so buying the samples from suppliers is costly, and honestly it kind of seems a bit like cheating yourself out of fun of collecting in the first place.

Thanks in Advance

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Sealing Gasses in Ampoules
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »
This is not easy.  This is not tricky, but it is not easy.  Soft soda lime glass tubing can be crimped with a Bunsen burner flame.  If the tube is full of a gas, it will be sealed within.  You can get better results if you liquify the gas, say for chlorine -- you can do the with dry ice, before you seal.  However, hydrogen gas in a tube, that you're flame sealing, presumably in an air environment (since you do need that to live) -- that's too risky.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
See if a lab at a university will let you use their glove box for a bit.

Offline Oromis

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:22:36 AM »
Thats a good thought, I'll talk to a few of my lecturers about it when I get around to it. Would there be a safety issue with doing oxygen as well? If so would sealing the tube under an oxidizing flame be safest?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
You will need a very hot flame to melt the tube.  The "oxidizing" and "reducing" parts of a blowpipe flame, meant for bead tests and the like, are general terms, not absolutes.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidizing_and_reducing_flames
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Oromis

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
I've just ordered some lengths of tubing for making the ampoules. Once I get them I'll have a play and see how I go.
So hydrogen is the only gas I need to taken incredible care with?

Sponsored Links