April 26, 2024, 12:17:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating equilibrium constant problem  (Read 11023 times)

Offline Malgrif

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calculating equilibrium constant problem
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »
I suspect the problem having problems but what do i know  ;D

Consider the system

CO2(g) + H2(g)   :rarrow: CO(g) + H2O(g)

Initially, 0.25 mol of water vapour and 0.2 mol of carbon monoxide are placed in a 1.00 L reaction vessel. At equilibrium, spectroscopic evidence shows that 0.1 mol of carbon dioxide is present. Calculate K for the reaction.

So writing down the equilibrium law we get.
Kc = [CO][H2O]/[CO2][H2]

Now we need to find the unknowns. We know 3/4 of the reaction's concentrations but how do you find the forth? An ice table wont work since we don't have a Kc value and without a given H2 value we can't calculate Kc. Stoichometry sounds useless since the system is in equilibrium so what the heck. How do you solve this problem?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Calculating equilibrium constant problem
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »
Stoichometry sounds useless since the system is in equilibrium so what the heck. How do you solve this problem?
I gotta disagree, it sounds like a winner here.

So, if you start with Carbon monoxide and water vapor, are you going to make just carbon dioxide, or will you make a mixture of carbon dioxide and hydrogen gas? What are the stochimetric proportions? Hint, the answer two both of these questions are in your chemical equation.

Offline Malgrif

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:39:32 PM »
The system is in equilibrium and I believe stoichiometry is only usable in a complete chemical reaction. Since at equilibrium the moles of the reactants and products will change depending on temperature, pressure and the Kc value stoichiometry seems unusable(point out if i'm missing the obvious please ^^). Even if we know that 0.1moles of CO2 are present at equilibrium I don't see how you can use that to find the values of everything else.

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »
You can not produce a chemical from nothing. It is produced from other chemicals. You can not also just produce "one" chemical if your system is a system that produces multiple chemicals.

If you start with pure CO and H2O, and you make some CO2, you must make some H2. The stochimetry dictates how much is produced. Even at equilibrium, you still have to have a mass balance.

In this case, try and not think about the equilibrium as the concentrations of the individual species, but how skewed the reaction in the forward direction (as written).

Offline Malgrif

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:10 PM »
Solving this problem by using stoichiometry would mean that one of the "products"'s concentration would be 0. Since stoichiometry is comparing mole ratios you would need to find the limiting reagent, which is the reagent that fully reacts leaving the [] at zero. That wouldn't make sense in a system that is in equilibrium. Essentially Kc=0 if solved this way.

The answer is Kc=1.7 in the back of the book. How they got this value I have no clue.

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »
No.
If I have 1 mol of CO and 1 mol of H2O, and I make 0.5mol of CO2, I had to also make some H2!!! Stoichiometry tells me how many mols of H2 I had to make!

Offline Malgrif

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 11:58:34 PM »
Maybe my stoichiometry skills are a bit rusty but... If what you're saying is correct the final concentration(which is the one we need to figure out Kc) of the limiting reagent(because we need that to solve for h2) would be 0. If we plug that into the equilibrium law it equals zero. What kind of stochiometric method am i suppose to use to solve this?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 04:59:18 AM »
Could it be easier to think of things in two parts? One a completed reaction, and one a non-started one?

If you initially had 0.2 mol of CO, and you have formed 0.1 mol CO2, by the balanced equation how much CO did you use up to make the carbon dioxide?

Similarly, by the balanced equation, how much water did you need to make this amount of carbon dioxide, and so how much is left?

If you used up this amount of water and carbon monoxide, how much H2 did you make?

So what is your value for Kc

Offline Malgrif

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »
ok thanks all i got it. the real answer is 0.667 the text book is wrong. However I still don't know how you would solve this using stoichiometry>_>... this is the method i used.

CO2 + H2 --> CO + H2O
I                    0           0         0.2      0.25
C                  +x        +x         -x         -x
E                  0.1           x       0.2-x    0.25-x

x = 0.1 (from above)
[CO2] = 0.1
[H2] = 0.1
[CO] = 0.1
[H2O] = 0.15

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
So, if you know what x is, how are you having a hard time understanding what the concentration of H2 is?!!

Are you sure about your typing into a calculator and such?

Offline Malgrif

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 11:16:29 PM »
So, if you know what x is, how are you having a hard time understanding what the concentration of H2 is?!!

Are you sure about your typing into a calculator and such?

nope guess i'm wrong answer IS 1.5 ok ok ok.^____^ thanks for the help. now help me in my other thread please !!!  ;D

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 03:22:04 AM »
I still don't know how you would solve this using stoichiometry

(...)

C                  +x        +x         -x         -x
E                  0.1           x       0.2-x    0.25-x

THIS IS stoichiometry. x moles of CO reacted to yield x moles of CO2. x moles of CO reacted with x moles of H2). Repeat, loud and clear: this is stoichiometry, this is stoichiometry, this is stoichiometry ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links