April 29, 2024, 09:41:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anode & Cathode?  (Read 10466 times)

Offline jh35

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Anode & Cathode?
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:37:03 PM »

I cannot seem to figure out which is the anode and cathode.  I do know that reduction occurs at the cathode and the reducing agent in this example is Ag. Can anyone help me figure this conundrum?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Anode & Cathode?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »
The one that is labeled cathode is the cathode, and the one labeled anode is the anode?

I am not really sure what the equation at the top of that picture has to do with the electrode in the picture though.

Offline jh35

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:37:08 AM »
The one that is labeled cathode is the cathode, and the one labeled anode is the anode?

I am not really sure what the equation at the top of that picture has to do with the electrode in the picture though.

Oh sorry, I should've given you the first part to the question.  It states:

"A voltaic cell SIMILAR to that shown above is constructed. One electrode compartment consists of a silver strip placed in a solution of AgNO3, and the other has a iron strip placed in a solution of FeNO3, The overall cell reaction is also given in the figure.  (Ered Fe+2 is -0.440)"

And then it goes on to ask me what the 1/2 cell rxns are (which I got correctly).  I'm just stuck on the anode/cathode electrode identification. =/

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 03:24:43 AM »
I'm just stuck on the anode/cathode electrode identification. =/
Look at the electrons movement. If anode is oxidation and cathode is reduction, which (anode/cathode) takes in electrons and which gives out electrons?
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jh35

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 11:25:29 AM »
I'm just stuck on the anode/cathode electrode identification. =/
Look at the electrons movement. If anode is oxidation and cathode is reduction, which (anode/cathode) takes in electrons and which gives out electrons?

The Cu cathode takes in electrons and the Zn anode gives out electrons.  Right?  The thing is, when I put these answers into the online HW program, it says that it's wrong.

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 06:23:11 PM »
The diagram itself has already indicated Cu is cathode while Zn is anode. The question in your online HW program refers to the Silver ion and Fe reaction.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jh35

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »
The diagram itself has already indicated Cu is cathode while Zn is anode. The question in your online HW program refers to the Silver ion and Fe reaction.

What does that imply?

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:40:22 PM »
Quote from: enahs on November 28, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

"A voltaic cell SIMILAR to that shown above is constructed. One electrode compartment consists of a silver strip placed in a solution of AgNO3, and the other has a iron strip placed in a solution of FeNO3, The overall cell reaction is also given in the figure.  (Ered Fe+2 is -0.440)"

And then it goes on to ask me what the 1/2 cell rxns are (which I got correctly).  I'm just stuck on the anode/cathode electrode identification. =/

Your question is probably asking you Ag/Fe which is cathode or anode and not Cu/Zn

Offline SomerHimpson

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »

Look at your half cell reactions (which apparently you got correct). When in doubt, always rewrite the balanced chemical equation on a seperate sheet of paper. You already got the first part: Anode is oxidation and Cathode is reduction. Look at your redox equations and the answer should be clear.

Sponsored Links