April 28, 2024, 12:19:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Removing the Oxygen from Sugars  (Read 11857 times)

lloydy

Removing the Oxygen from Sugars
« on: April 28, 2005, 03:13:30 PM »
Is there a way of removing the 02 from the sugar Glucose C6H1206? I would really aprecitate if you answered as this would be useful for my science project.

Lloydy

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Removing the Oxygen from Sugars
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:00:36 PM »
this seems like a tricky problem. attached is the structure of glucose. it's possible to substitute the -OH with something else but the oxygen in the ring is the one that is really headache. removing that oxygen involves breaking down glucose completely.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

GCT

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
I would suggest that you first observe the structure of glucose.  Are you asking to somehow produce oxygen gas through a reaction where glucose is one of the reactants?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 06:38:45 PM »
Write a chemical equation.  :D
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 11:32:10 PM »
this seems like a tricky problem. attached is the structure of glucose. it's possible to substitute the -OH with something else but the oxygen in the ring is the one that is really headache. removing that oxygen involves breaking down glucose completely.

Yeah, that's actually quite easy.  Replace the -OH with -Cl and you have the latest craze known as 'Splenda'.   :biggrin2:
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

lloydy

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 11:44:13 AM »
what im really after is

Glucose + "something" = a carbohyrdate +oxygen

or something along those lines

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 08:56:16 PM »
Sugars are carbohydrates right? Just simple ones. Research enzymes that our bodies use to break down sugar or try the chlorine trick.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Garneck

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 02:03:48 AM »
I think he ment "hydrocarbons"  ::)

miaskows

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 02:08:59 PM »
Reaction that you actually have to carry out if you would like to remove O from sugars , it is Hydrogenolysis of their -OH and -COH groups  ( Hydro-de-Hydroxylation).
For example :
C6H12O6 + 7H2 (catalist)=C6H14 + 6H2O
Glucose is aldehydo alcohol and the hydroxyl groups (and aldehydo ones  that reduced  via -OH) of most primary and secondary alcohols  can seldom be cleaved by catalitic hydrogenation, but they can be reduced indirectly by conversion to a sulfonate and reduction of that compound with LiAlH4 as follows:
1)RCH2OH + SO3-Pyridine  = RCH2O-Sulfonate
2)RCH2O-Sulfonate + LiAlH4= RCH3 + ...
The two reactions can be carried out without isolation of the sulfonate if the alcohol is treated with pyridine-SO3 in Tetra Hydro Furane and then LiAlH4 added.

There are another methods for reducing of alcohols (and sugars), for example so called Barton-McCombie reaction:
1)Converting of sugar to carbonate derivative:
RCH2OH + COCl2 = RCH2-O-CO-O-(RCH2) + HCl+ ...
2) Reducing of the carbonate with appropriated radicals producing compound (as AIBN)
RCH2-O-CO-O- + AIBN= RCH3 +...

miaskows

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 07:00:48 AM »
If you still insist on producing of  carbohydrates from sugars along with O2 as by product ,you can try electrolisis (reducing by electrolisis, has been described in the literature) as follows:
(simplest case-alphaGlucose)
C5(OH)5COH  (e) = C6(OH)nHm+ xO2
By carefully choosing of conditions(solvent, curient of electricity,concentration etc) you can obtain all of possible  products of reducing.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 08:01:35 AM »
it sounds like the breaking of glucose into carbohydrases, where oxygen is then circulated bloodstream.

maybe u guys could put it into layman terms? im having a headache :X
one learns best by teaching

miaskows

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 02:18:39 PM »
I am still with that glucose "stripping off oxygen atoms" topic. Actually it is sounds as somthing great: solving of world's petroleum shortage by obtaining of  hydrocarbons (like hexane C6H14, component of  fuels) from cheap renewable natural search (sugars by hydrolysis of wood cellulose etc).
The topic itself may be considered as worth it's own serious forum.
Then there is one another method for reducing of glucose:
CH2OH-(CH-OH)4-COH + HI (heating)=
CH3-CHI-(CH2)3-CH3 +H2O+I2

CH3-CHI-(CH2)3-CH3 +H2 (catalist)=
CH3-(CH2)4-CH3 +HI
(I2 and HI could be easily recuperated)

<The mentioned above methods needs to be cross checked (the equations has been taken from the book of Org.Chem., but there could be mistakes everywhere now days, you know...)>

lloydy

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 12:04:18 PM »
I am still with that glucose "stripping off oxygen atoms" topic. Actually it is sounds as somthing great: solving of world's petroleum shortage by obtaining of  hydrocarbons (like hexane C6H14, component of  fuels) from cheap renewable natural search (sugars by hydrolysis of wood cellulose etc).

Yup, this is what i am in essence trying to do. Have u anyidea on a catalyst for this reaction?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 12:47:40 AM »
he did write down hydrogen as a catalyst..
one learns best by teaching

miaskows

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
Between common used catalysts of hydrogenation are Raney nickel, palladium-on-carcoal, platinum metal or its oxide and others.

Sponsored Links