April 27, 2024, 01:02:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tungsten Carbide involvement in reaction  (Read 4270 times)

Offline aveon blitz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Tungsten Carbide involvement in reaction
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:14:19 PM »
this is a process i am attempting to replicate in an attempt to determine if The grade of tungsten carbide will effect the efficency of this reaction, and bare with me, i don't know how to properly write this on a computer, so ^(+) will be a + towards the top and (2) will be a 2 towards the bottem. and Ag and Mg in this equation are in a colloid form, from nutritional supplement pills.

1) 4Ag^(+) + 2Zn= 2Zn^(+2) + 4Ag
2) 4Ag= 4Ag^(-) + 4e^(-) (oxidation at Zinc anode)
3) 4H(2)O + 4e^(-) = 2H(2) + HO^(-) (reduction at tungsten carbide cathode)
4) 4OH^(-) = 2H(2)O + O(2) + 4e^(-) (oxidation at Zinc anode)
5) 2Mg^(+2) + 4e^(-) = 2Mg (reduction at tungsten carbide cathode)
6) 2Zn^(+2) +2Mg = 2Mg^(+2) + 2Zn (Zinc anode regeneration)

how would the role of a cathode be changed if i used a lower grade of  tungsten carbide (it is softer and cheaper, only reason).

i thank all who respond intelligently.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Tungsten Carbide involvement in reaction
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:24:04 AM »
What do you mean by "role of the cathode"? Cathode is where the reduction takes places, to large extent it doesn't matter what material it is made off, as long as it is not reacting with the solution or it doesn't get reduced by itself.

There are many problems with the equations you have listed. For example:

Please note that almost all your reaction equations can (and should) have smaller coefficients.

eq 2 - are you sure metallic silver will get oxidized, and not the zinc electrode?

eq 5 - are you sure magnesium will get reduced on the cathode in water solution?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline aveon blitz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Tungsten Carbide involvement in reaction
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »
i am replicating this experiment from an experiment done to test a patent. on youtube.com, there are many videos of these systems operating. while not many have been scientifically documented. the experiment i am replicating was properly documented in a report. this is the report i am using, http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=3633.0.

thank you for your input by the way. from thinking about it last night and your confirmation today, i think i will go with the lesser grade and see if it will work or not corrode. thank you for your help, you just saved me $80-$100, hopefully.

Sponsored Links