March 29, 2024, 02:50:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical engineering vs biochemical engineering  (Read 7250 times)

Offline physstudent1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical engineering vs biochemical engineering
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »
So, at my university the chemical and biochemical engineering tracks don't split ways until after sophomore year, so being as I am a sophomore I am going to have to decide soon if I want to just do chemical engineering or if I want to do biochemical engineering and I have a few questions.  I'm not sure if this is the right forum so I'm sorry if it isn't.  Can people with a biochemical degree usually get chemical engineering jobs or is it harder for a biochemical engineer to get a chemical engineering job and vice versa?  What are the salary differences usually?  Is it harder in general to find a job with a biochemical engineer degree than a chemical engineer degree?  I looked for these answers on the internet but I could not find answers.  I am slightly more interested in jobs that are typically classified as "biochemical engineering" but I am also interested in working in the petroleum or fuel industry.  I think I may want to go toward research and probably grad school after I get my BS.  I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, or if this question is really long I just don't know who else to ask and am looking for information thanks!

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
Re: Chemical engineering vs biochemical engineering
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:50:21 AM »
its quite funny really, my school owns the name:Department of chemical engineering, but we specialize in biochemical engineering especially fermentation engineering and bioprocess engineering....we study the same subjects as the hard core chemical engineering do: unit operations, transport phenomenon, chemical engineering thermodynamic even all the chemistry that they have we also study, but the only masin difference is that we handle living catalysts like biomass in order to bring about the  chemical reaction....the two are basically the same and the two can interchange jobs but there are some aspects of the work that you need to do some book reviewings.
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Sponsored Links