April 20, 2024, 04:52:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Who likes gardening  (Read 12949 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Who likes gardening
« on: April 29, 2005, 11:27:12 PM »
HMX's remark in this thread http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?op=forum;board=2;action=display;threadid=2938;start=new;boardseen=1 made me decide to start this thread :D

I got quite a garden myself in my room, been growing things since I was a kid, got quite a collection by now :)

This one is some seedlings of Peganum Harmala, syrian rue, its seeds contain beta-carboline alkaloids, harmaline, harmine, harmalol and harmalan mainly, which act as extremely potent irreversible nonselective monoamine oxidase inhibitors, also produce some reasonably potent entheogenic activity of their own.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
Re:Who likes gardening
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:31:11 PM »
This one is me, holding a young morning glory vine, of which I now have about 8, of the heavenly blue strain, noted for production of lysergic acid amides, and related ergine-type alkaloids within the seeds, the plants latex, however, produces a strongly and violently purgative effect if it were taken internally.

These buggers will have great looking dark violet-blue flowers once they flower (which is of course, the only reason I am growing these plants 8))

The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:33:13 PM »
Here is a picture of a just-sprouted Papaver Somniferum, the opium poppy, this one is the persian white strain, as grown widely in afghanistan, noted for its high proportions of morphine and codeine in the opium latex gum exuded by the immature seed capsules if they are injured.
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 11:42:06 PM »
This one is a yopo tree, Anadenantharea Columbrina, it has mimisa-type photosensitive leaves, grows to a tree about 45 feet tall, the seeds are dried and ground as a snuff by some amazonian tribes, due to them containing high levels of bufotenine, 5-MeO-dimethyltryptamine and DMT itself.
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 11:48:45 PM »
I also have 8 other morning glory vines, which are just sprouting, about 5 inch growth per day, a pet Trichocereus Peruvianus cactus which is a natural source of phenethylamine alkaloids, mainly mescaline, a whole bunch of other growing yopo trees,  and a few pots full of opium poppies :)

I always love aqquiring new seeds for these sort of plants, and currently I should be getting me some Khat (catha edulis) bushes, which produce methcathinone and cathinone, potent CNS stimulants, and on my soon to get list, are Mitragyna Speciosa, the thai Kratom bush, which yields a mu-opiate agonist oxindole alkaloid structurally related  to yohombine, and hopefully some cloned Salvia Divinorum plants, the diviner's sage, which produces an extremely interesting compound, salvinorin-A, a diterpene, which acts as a kappa-opiate agonist, extremely intense, yet short acting (legal) hallucinogenic compound active from doses of 250 micrograms or so.

I guess I am just an ethnobotany nerd really ;D  
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 10:47:06 PM »
It seems that all your plants have something in common... I just can't put my finger on it.

And it's terrible that you're going to kill your plants!  Plant killer!

It's such a far cry from my plants.  I have a norfolk pine that is now about 2' tall, and a giant sequoia that's been growing from a seed.  (Tiny, though).  I doubt these have any hallucinogenic properties, other than to wonder if you're hallucinating when you see a 'giant sequoia' that's about 1" tall.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 11:27:28 PM »
I find it kind of sickening how the United States Government wants to eradiate the Papaver Somniferum species and make it extinct.  Sure you'd end the production of heroin by doing that, but then you'd also lose nearly every single painkiller there is as morphine and codeine would also be eliminated.   :no:
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 01:03:39 PM »
HMX, I don't intend on killing my plants at all, on the contrary, I wouldn't do anything of the sort, for the most part, any alkaloids are in the seeds of the plants, and in the case of poppies, in the sap which exudes from the cut capsules, harvesting the plants, if it were to be done, would be no different from eating a banana ;D

Actually, have you heard of the screw pine? Pandanus species, apparently , the seeds of certain of that genus contain DMT in appreciable levels 8) (not a true pine I know)

Jdurg, surely the US govt. doesn't want to actually make the species extinct? I find it really hard to believe even Bush is THAT moronic, then again, as I think again, no I don't! if he were to suceed in eradicating the poppy, I would LOVE to be there on the day he has some sort of horiffically painful accident, and is scraped up off the road after being hit by a car, and wheeled into the hospital in agony, only to be told there is no painkillers in the hospital due to the "law" he made (as I stand there with some nice homegrown black tar ;D and laugh)

Not something I would wish on the general populace though, it is shocking how one man's stupidity can do so much harm to so many people.

I would imagine, that if the opium-alkaloids were successfully eradicated, which I cannot see happening, that epibatidine, from the jungle frog which produces it would have to be brought into use.

It has more or less become impossible to treat pain in the home here, although OTC dihydrocodeine products can be seperated from APAP easily to provide an effective dose, I suffer from a knee condition, brought about by a shard of glass through the shinbone, called Osgood Schlatter's disease, and NSAIDs have absolutely NO effect on the pain caused, I found though, that a plant called Kratom, a MU-opiate agonist, helps considerably, along with tetrahydropalmitine, an isoquinoline alkaloid from the plant Corydalis Yanhuoso, which has 40% of the painkilling efficiency of morphine.

Interestingly enough, somthing I think needs further research, is the frog Phyllomedusa Bicolor, or the dow kietl, it produces an interesting mixture of peptides in its skin secretions, used by the native Matses indian people, as a hallucinogenic, but the skin secretions, also contain some incredibly efficient peptides with opioid effects called dermorphins, which I think would make excellent tools for pain management in hospitals.
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 06:46:34 PM »
That shows you how ignorant (and generally uninterested) I am in drugs, their making, and use.  I figured you'd eat or smoke the plant.  Ha!

It sounds like you're more serious about your plants (and their constituent chemicals) than just recriational use.  I think it would be cool to see some new painkillers and other drugs in hospitals.  In particular, I think it's a real shame that we're destroying so much of the rainforest each day, as I'm sure there's tons of natural products in there that we will never again see.

As for Bush, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he wanted to destroy an opiate plant.  Hell, he's doing a good enough job cutting down all our trees already, why not add some mammals, avians, and that opium plant for the heck of it?

Growing plants is pretty cool, I must say.  There's something really interesting and exciting about watching a plant appear from under the soil.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 07:29:01 PM »
Actually, the U.S. governments urge to make the poppy plant extinct has been around for quite a long while now.  I think it was back in the 1970's when the US started to heavily persuade foregin countries into destroying all of their poppy plants.  So this isn't really a Bush developed stupidity.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 09:09:56 PM »
Well, I AM a recreational user of some compounds and plants, but I do take entheobotany and chemistry very seriosly and recreational use, does NOT mean that it nescessarily has to exclude spiritual useage, as spiritial use CAN be both mind expanding and enjoyable, and do as much as my present ability allows, to promote knowledge of these plants and chemicals, and to preserve as many species as I possibly can, at the moment, there is barely enough space on my table in my room to house a bottle of water for the plants, and I have others growing round my room and on chairs and things ;D

It is just something I love doing, both studying, and firsthand experience of entheogens, it is funny really, as when I was much younger, I was afraid to so much as take a drag on a cigarrette, believeing all the crap the british occupying forces spread, in an attempt to keep hold of power.

HMX, you are right, it is quite special watching the tiny seedlings you grew gain strength and grow, knowing that I am helping preserve the species, and the indigenous knowledge handed down by traditional shamans throughout so many centuries against the attacks of an ignorant invader (I.E artificial entities, arbitrarily placed into artificial positions of power, to do nothing but damage to users of entheogens, all in the name of filthy money.
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 04:34:50 AM »
You know, in a reasonable, sane world, governments would give people like you a nice place to work and a license to do what you wanted to, knowing that your passion and love for working with these materials would ultimately benefit your country and probably the world.  I'm not advocating communism, where your job is handed to you, but at least grant you a license to do as you please, considering you're not growing thousands of acres of some plant just to harvest it and sell it to 10 year olds on the street for money.  Of course, the world isn't sane or reasonable.  Our governments tend to restrict anything they don't really understand.  It's kind of sad to see chemistry derailed by government idiocy.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 12:06:37 PM »
I had no idea there was that much medical benefit from plants like that. I won't ask HOW you go about extracting the important stuff, because I don't need to know and its not really in the scope of this site. I tried growing plants once, but I'm terrible at keeping them alive. Right now, all I have is a potted cactus and it loves me. Never water it though. What are some easy things I could try growing in a really dry, arid, barren, wasteland? Like Phoenix Arizona.

Mr. Pink

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 12:05:54 PM »
I dont have any pictures, but I cultivate carnivorius plants. Have the following:

Drosera Capensis X3
Sarracenia Minor X2
Sarracenia Purpurea Ssp. Purpurea X1
Dionea Muscipula X3
Nephentes Sanguinea X1
Utricularia Capensis X1

Mr. Pink

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:35 PM »
I find it really hard to believe even Bush is THAT moronic,

Yeah, and this is the guy who says stuff like "Reading is the basics for all learning" and "What I like about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures" and "There is one question we are all asking: Is our children learning?" (the list goes on) and whose IQ score matches his shoe size. Oh oh oh.... theres even one related to chemistry: "Natural gas is hemishperic. I like to call it hemishperic because it's a product we can find in our neighborhoods"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:13:31 PM by Mr. Pink »

Sponsored Links